Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-23-2012, 10:52 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Water changes for larger tanks

Hello all was thinking of go from a 55 gallon to maybe a 200 gallon tank but I was thinking of the task of water changes. With a 55 it's not hard to do changes but I was wondering how do people accomplish this with larger tanks meaning do you have to set up a secondary tank to prepare water. Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks all.

Old 03-23-2012, 10:57 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Brute trashcan. Then use a pump to mix the salt and heater to keep the water warm. Buy a pump that can connect to a flexible tubing. Then you use the pump to push water from the trashcan to the tank.

Old 03-23-2012, 10:59 PM   #3
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

One of the things I have read is people doing water changes by mixing the water up in large rubbermaid trashcans on wheels. Another way would be doing the water changes more often rather than one large one. It would be easier to 5-10 gal water changes bi-weekly rather than one large 20 gal one.
Old 03-23-2012, 11:02 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernie View Post
Hello all was thinking of go from a 55 gallon to maybe a 200 gallon tank but I was thinking of the task of water changes. With a 55 it's not hard to do changes but I was wondering how do people accomplish this with larger tanks meaning do you have to set up a secondary tank to prepare water. Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks all.
I have a very large trash can that I use. I also make sure that the water matches my tanks salt levels etc... Before going in
Old 03-23-2012, 11:31 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Depending on....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernie View Post
Thanks all.
Depending on where you live, there are sources that sell natural sea water delivered to your door. If you don't have that option. You can use any kind of holding facility such as a garbage can or there are plastics distributors that sell canisters for the chemical companies. We used one of these in my last warehouse that held 1000 gals of water. (Don't panic, they come in smaller sizes ) It was hoooked up with a recirculating pump and plumbed so that it would flow directly into the sumps during water changes.
FYI: whenever you are storing water for your tank, either aerate it or circulate it. Don't let it stagnate.

Hope this helps...
Old 03-24-2012, 12:34 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have a 180g and I use the trash can method as well. I bought a spare pump to pump into the tank with and it's an exact match to the pump in my sump. I figured I may as well have a built in spare. As far as getting the water out, I use a device similar to the Python which syphons the water down a sink, so you don't have to fill a bunch of buckets.
Old 03-25-2012, 10:23 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I also use a 45g trash can for my 150. I do a pwc every week of about 30-35 gals.
Old 03-28-2012, 05:07 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrance View Post
Brute trashcan. Then use a pump to mix the salt and heater to keep the water warm. Buy a pump that can connect to a flexible tubing. Then you use the pump to push water from the trashcan to the tank.
I have a 220 and I use the same method. One other advatage I have is that I have a drain close enough that I can siphon water straight into the drain - that makes it faster as well.
Old 04-05-2012, 04:26 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Thanks all for the advice

Tags
tan, water changes

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com