water cloudiness

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

venomfreak65

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was informed that since i was using live sand i had to mix my saltwater up before adding the sand, so I did and my water has been extremely cloudy for over 24 hrs now. I just took my filter cartridges out and ran them over some water and washed them off since they're was white milky water all over them. Is this normal? How long will this take to settle and after it does should i change all my filters entirely?

It's normal for using any kind of sand that hasn't been rinsed. Since it's live sand, you don't want to rinse it prior to adding it to your tank. Give it a couple days for the cloudiness to subside.

Are you just starting out your tank? If it's in a cycling phase, i'd turn off your filter cartridge while the cloudiness subsided and just let one of your powerheads handle the aeration/flow for a couple days till the sand settles.

Some say yes, I personally wouldn't. The reason being is that as the filters run the BB will get into the system/filters as it cycles. Only disagreement towards this has been saying that "it saves money", and I just haven't noticed a change in my electric bill since starting my tank...and im pushing alot of power.

Also, when you add water ontop of your sand, if you lay a plastic bag from walmart or where ever down ontop of the sand and pour gently, you will not have stir up. It will get alittle cloudy...but nothing to major.

It's up to you really. All the cloudiness will go away eventually regardless of what you do.

Thanks for the advice guys I just hope it goes away soon it look nasty

Also since the water has gotten a little clearer I've noticed salt on my two circulation pumps, can this damage them? How's the best way to clean them?

It's kind of strange that you already have salt on your return pumps (not powerheads, correct?). Either way the best way to clean them is to soak them in a 50/50 solution of water and vinegar.

Yes sry sand not salt but I just brushed it off and water looks better everyday still not all the way there tho

It should be fine now i hope. If not, it might be that your powerheads are creating too much flow at the sand's level and kicking it up some.

Yes totally clear now and my water has been testing out great the past few days!

One of my filters the water is really high and about to run ovr the top. Does this mean I need to change the filters. I washed them out but it's still high the other ones r high but not as bad?

I gave 3 damsels and 2 chromosis in the tank now to help cycle been testing water daily it's been good so far

Back
Top Bottom