Water Cloudy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oo7cable

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey guys, I have come a LONG way in this hobby thanks to you guys!

I have switched from CC to Playsand, got a RO/DI unit, and I know what to test and how. So Thanks for that!

I recently did a PWC of 10%, I had a ton of algae (green) growing all over the back of the tank glass. I scraped it off got most of it out. Since then I have had a major algae bloom. Most of it is Cyano, and a little bit of brown. The tank is just full of bubbles and is now a little clowdy. I would do a PWC but I just did it 3 days ago. I have tested everything and it all is well below the "danger zones". I know its har to get the PO4 reading when Cyano is present. Also I only feed a small bit of flakes and to cubes of frozen brine shrimp every 2 days. Any advice?

Thanks!
I'll post up some pics later. Im charging my camera.

Flakes are great for phosphates.
More frequent PWCs are definitely needed.
How long do you run your lights?
What exactly are your test results?
How much are you feeding?
Are you running GAC?
You have a huge bio-load (12 fish) in a 55G, if your info is still correct.

A good substitution for flakes?
I do PWC of 10% every 5-7 days
Lights are a bit long 8am-8pm
Everything was 0, NO3 was 5ppm and PO4 was .04
Yes I use GAC but I think I need to change it.
Bio-Load is down to 10 fish. I will be taking about 4 of them back to the LFS as soon as I can.

I alternate between flakes and frozen brine. I run my lights only about 8 hours a day.

I agree doing frequent PWC`s and using plenty of GAC. If you find out it is an algea bloom that is clouding your water maybe you can buy or borrow a UV light that will kill algea spores that travel through the chamber. But try the PWC`s and GAC first.

Thanks for the UV info.

Here are some pics. I need to skim the surfice! Notice the bubbles in the sand...This is one ugly tank! At least the fish are ok. My Puffer "Coco" loves to take pics!

img_766457_0_61902a31b6ba31653e1889d973ead3a3.jpg

img_766457_1_6cee055e2627b98856bf398c3911d24f.jpg

img_766457_2_a5e49e1856f61c371302343b036f5500.jpg

img_766457_3_55bdf7740cb61612dca80f8e4c78f3eb.jpg

img_766457_4_b9a79b97364b25bc2e4d278eef84ef61.jpg

img_766457_5_8955056202295ff26326b845c6636265.jpg

img_766457_6_2873dbb1398980ea855fbfccaad12ce8.jpg

img_766457_7_7e451b1ba7f19f25b16f0dfd056d6f08.jpg

img_766457_8_e89cb322d1d9e8bbc25457c144af5b68.jpg

I need to stock a clean up crew. Any idea what would be safe from my puffer? I bought 2 large "Turbo Snails" both about 2 inches around, but my puffer keeps trying to get em. I have around 20 hermit crabs, he dosent bother them at all. Thanks again for the help! I'll be taking back 4 fish this comming weekend.

I dont think any inverts will be safe. You could try a sand sifting goby for your sand

melosu58 said:
I dont think any inverts will be safe. You could try a sand sifting goby for your sand
I agree, or try something that burrows in the sand. I would say a queen conch, but they can get up to 14 inches. Look up a sand star, they tend to stay under the sand, but all of these options are not guaranteed.

I have a bunch of Hermit Crabs and they seem to be fine. Is there any other "Hard" shell crab that might work? How important is a clean up crew? I have never really had one and was always struggling with my tank. Mainly due to inexperience and lack of knowledge. Are there any starfish or would he go for them as well?

for the sand sifting, I would go with the Bullet Goby, AKA Dragon Goby. I had algea on my sand and after getting that fish, algea was gone within about 3 days. And i havent had a problem with dirty sand since. JMO

Will the Dragon Goby eat Cyano? I dont know too many fish/inverts that will. But then again Im still learning a lot. I am down to 6 fish now, 2 O. Clowns 2 Blue Damsels One yellow tail damsel and my puffer. I also picked up 2 turbo snails. Their about 2 inches around. My puffer tries to get them but so far he has been unsuccessfull. I have done PWC ever 3 days, and my cyano is still there. Its not getting any worse but its not going away.

I had the cyano problem. what I ended up doing was using a treatment that my LFS had me do. Very well known establishment and very trusted. I think it was Myracin. But, within 3 days, the cyano was gone. I sucked it off the sand and netted what I could. Shut the skimmer off and carbon filter but kept the sump running. In 3 days did a water change, and started up skimmer and carbon filter, and havent had the problem since. He thinks it might have been the sand. But, it was safe for the fish, inverts etc.

The dragon goby wont eat cyano but he`ll keep the sand stirred up and make it harder for the cyano to take hold.

^ Thanks Melosu

I wouldlike to find the cause of the prolem rather than use a treatment every few months.
So I'll kep trying. Thanks for the advice guys! I'll look into getting the goby. Do you think it will put too much of a bioload on my tank?

How long has your tank been set up? I think reducing the hours your lights are on will help but there is still a lot of nutrients in your water for that algae to grow like it is. Maybe now is a good time to go ahead and add that skimmer. One other thing, I would consider doing a bit larger PWC and for the time being I would do them about twice a week.

Back
Top Bottom