water evaporation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rncarter

Aquarium Advice Freak
I installed new pump, sump and Skimmer. However it seems like the water in my tank needs to be top up every other day. Is this water evaporation normal? I replace about 5gallons since the weekend.

Likely very normal, especially with the higher output lights. What about the room? Is it dry anyway? Got a de-humidifier going somewhere near? Maybe with all that new water moving mechanical stuff, you might experience more evap.

Be sure to top off with fresh water, not salt.

You will see more evaporation if you installed a sump. There is more surface area of the water exposed to air which allows for additional evaporation. The skimmer will also pull a little extra water out depending on how wet you are skimming. Doesn't sound abnormal to me. I would play it safe and keep a sharp eye out for drips in your plumbing or anything like that.

pat8you said:
You will see more evaporation if you installed a sump. There is more surface area of the water exposed to air which allows for additional evaporation. The skimmer will also pull a little extra water out depending on how wet you are skimming. Doesn't sound abnormal to me. I would play it safe and keep a sharp eye out for drips in your plumbing or anything like that.

I am trying to establish a high water mark

Turn the main pump off and let the water in the line return to the sump. If that's OK mark the high level after you turn it back on or add as needed. Clear as mud? :)

Are you talking about a maximum fill line on your sump?

To do this lower the water level to just over your return pump in the sump and then turn off all pumps and equipment going to the whole tank. Allow the water level to come to the final level after the pipes have emptied and there is no siphon from your main display. Then top of the sump to the highest point you ever want the water to get (usually an inch or two below the lip of the sump). Turn all your pumps back on and when the water has started circulating again mark that current water level in your sump and it will be your maximum fill line.

pat8you said:
Are you talking about a maximum fill line on your sump?

To do this lower the water level to just over your return pump in the sump and then turn off all pumps and equipment going to the whole tank. Allow the water level to come to the final level after the pipes have emptied and there is no siphon from your main display. Then top of the sump to the highest point you ever want the water to get (usually an inch or two below the lip of the sump). Turn all your pumps back on and when the water has started circulating again mark that current water level in your sump and it will be your maximum fill line.

I tried This tonight

Having installed this sump it seems like I need to add at least a gallon of water to the tank every day.

sounds about right,I top up about 5-6g a week
Hi,

What type of water to you use to replace the evaporated water?
I started a new tank 2 months ago, and have been using distilled water.

What do you think?

Thanks,

Lou

squallius said:
Hi,

What type of water to you use to replace the evaporated water?
I started a new tank 2 months ago, and have been using distilled water.

What do you think?

Thanks,

Lou

I use RO water.

Back
Top Bottom