Water keeps turning green.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

patrick seastar

Aquarium Advice Regular
My aquarium keeps turning green. Starts at light green-green. The first time it took three weeks. Yesterday I did a 1/4 water change & filter change & bam! it turned a light green again over night. All my parameters are good & I use bottled Catalina saltwater & R/O for top off. The fish seem fine. I did research on it & could only come to the conclusion of either water column algae bloom, bacterial bloom, or a plankton bloom. I don't have any plants or anything that has algae on it either.

It's a "green water" outbreak. you can kill it off by blacking out the tank or a UV sterilizer. Water changes will not stop it, but fuel it.

If your aquarium is by a window than you have too much sun on it. Also your lighting can play a big part. My lights are on a timer and they come on at 11am in the morning and go off at 9pm.

Mr_X is correct, you need to blackout your tank for a while (No lights) and than start running a lesser lighting scheduled.

Turns out that it was from my sand. During the time I posted this I remember I have accidentally stirred up all of my ultra fine oolite sand & apparently the silicates found in sand were completely exposed to the water causing the out break of algae in the water column. All is fine since then though. It died off along regardless of light once it ran out of silicates to feed on.

Back
Top Bottom