water question on 120G

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

keysfishfinder

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have tested my water at the lfs and they say I had 0 ammonia/nitrites, but I did not trust them after reading many posts here.

My readings are: (these were from a test strip. ):confused:

nitrates 80
nitrites 0
PH 8.2
KH 180
GH 60

I assume I should do another PWC of about 25g this week.
I have used tap water to make my salt water for the first PWC. Could this be why my nitrates are so high?

Also I have minimal algae growth on all the rock.

I purchased tank and occumpants and about a month ago.
Durning move we saved 70G+ of the original water (made the other 50 with tap and instant ocean), all fish, inverts, and the LR and LS (Crushed coral). Do I need to vac the crushed coral ?

Inherited Tank Family:

• Lawn Mower Bleenie
  • wrasse (evil little sucker):vader:
  • 2 grunts (small)
  • blue yellow angel
  • shame face crab
  • crab (with purple tip claws)
  • crab (not sure what kind)
  • 4 pencil urchin
  • bunch of blue leg hermits
** we removed a sand perch who ate anything that it could catch (poor little cardinal and 3 damsels) and a purple urchin got sick and had to be removed.

Thanks I think I have.
Over protective father syndrom? Any advice at all is greatly appreciated.

Have you tested your tap for Nitrates? It probably is up there close to 80 and that is why your Nitrates are so high and also why you are getting algae. You have to stop using the tap water and set up a RO/DI unit for your tap water or start buying Distilled water from the grocery store. Even if your tap Nitrates are 0 you still shouldn't use it.

Yes crushed coral does need to be vacuumed at least once a month or whenver you do your pwc.

IMO you don't need to test for KH GH.... you can worry about alkalinity when you have coral. With the Fish Only focus Nitrate, Nitrite, PH, Ammonia and Salinity. And I think GH you are testing for is more of a freshwater thing.

IMO you don't need to test for KH GH.... you can worry about alkalinity when you have coral. With the Fish Only focus Nitrate, Nitrite, PH, Ammonia and Salinity. And I think GH you are testing for is more of a freshwater thing.

I don't fully agree with that. You do need to worry about alk as it is part of keeping the system balanced. Granted it becomes more important with corals with regard to CA levels, but alk is still important in keeping things balanced.

I agree with the above and will also add that in my experience I have had issues with Instant Ocean salt mix having nitrates in it. The bucket says nitrate free but I have had nitrate spikes after using the mix. I'm not saying that it is what has cause the high nitrates just sharing some of my experience.

You really want to do a few things.

1. Get the liquid test kits as Mike said
2. Either buy an RO/DI unit (look on ebay you can pick one up for under $100 shipped) or buy RO/DI water from your LFS. I suggest buying the unit it is cheaper in the long run. You really don't want to use tap water. Are you on city water or do you have a well?
3. Test your tap water and see what the nitrates are.

I work for a municipal water locality and I know what goes in there. To make water safe for human consumption things that are not good for fish and esp. corals are put in there. Ammonia and nitrates being the main two things.

They are very simple to install. First you need to select one and buy it. Ebay is a great place to find one. Here is the one I have and who I got it from RO/DI. I have had this unit for nearly 3 years now and am very happy with it.

For a lot of great information on RO/DI and tons of other things have a look here.

I don't fully agree with that. You do need to worry about alk as it is part of keeping the system balanced. Granted it becomes more important with corals with regard to CA levels, but alk is still important in keeping things balanced.

I agree with the above and will also add that in my experience I have had issues with Instant Ocean salt mix having nitrates in it. The bucket says nitrate free but I have had nitrate spikes after using the mix. I'm not saying that it is what has cause the high nitrates just sharing some of my experience.

You really want to do a few things.

1. Get the liquid test kits as Mike said
2. Either buy an RO/DI unit (look on ebay you can pick one up for under $100 shipped) or buy RO/DI water from your LFS. I suggest buying the unit it is cheaper in the long run. You really don't want to use tap water. Are you on city water or do you have a well?
3. Test your tap water and see what the nitrates are.

Ziggys statement is correct regarding alkalinity, I made a mistake. It is still good to test carbonate hardness for fish only tanks to keep things in balance. I do believe what I said about General Hardness is correct that it is more of a freshwater thing.

due to time constraints had to use tap, I checked the tap but this is the last time.
I switched out 20 gals, doing 5 gal every 5 min. The nitrates were down around 40. I also switched out the filter in the sump (above the bio balls) it was very brown. Will do water test in the AM to see how it went. God willing all the kids will be alive in the morning.

Thanks for all the advice, I am ordering the RO/DI tomorrow also. Trying to get this stuff done before I leave town for 2 weeks and the wife gets to take over.

I do believe what I said about General Hardness is correct that it is more of a freshwater thing.

That is correct.

Buying an RO/DI unit is one of the best decisions I made when starting out in this hobby.

The bio balls could be part of the issue with high nitrates. I'm guessing you have a wet/dry filter under the tank?? Probably the best thing you could do for your tank is to remove the bio balls and replace them with Live Rock Rubble.

Back
Top Bottom