Water results?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I got some sachem stability now too which is supposed to help with bacteria levels. After 50% change still some low levels of ammonia :(

I noticed yesterday after my filter pads were cleaned the water was black. Today they were just as dirty so I think I need new ones?

I noticed yesterday after my filter pads were cleaned the water was black. Today they were just as dirty so I think I need new ones?

Are your talking about the black carbon from the filters. I have learned here that the only time you want to replace your filters is when they are to tore up to use.
I would hope you have a backup up filter with beneficial bacteria. Putting in a bacterial supplement really only seeds bacterial growth.

If you throw away and replace the old filters, your going to loose good bacteria, and you may experience another cycle.

They say rinse you filters in used tank water and put the back in.
You do not want to loose your good bacteria.

I still think your tank is not cycled. Keep it up.
Read This Article
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/artic...r-those-new-to-the-Aquarium-Hobby-/Page1.html

If I'm wrong someone let me know.

I think you should return the fish and let your tank cycle. What kind of filtration are you using? How long has your tank been running? You are going to run yourself ragged changing the amount of water you need to change daily to keep these fish safe. Do yourself a favor and return the fish or find a temorary tank that is cycled that you can keep them in untill yours is cycled. Let your tank cycle completely! There are some good stickys on here about the cycle and will explain it. Read read read.

No I am only changing 2 filters then a week later the other 2 so my bacteria can build up
On my new filters. My tank has cycled I do have nitrates I went to LFS today and had my water tested. We think ammonia due to die off from all the new rock and fish I put in and a combination of clogged filter and dirty gravel. My ammonia has dropped significantly and the fish are fine :)

Hey sorry kind of a newbie here, but what's the difference between nitrate and nitrite? Is it bad to have them?

NO2 and NO3. They're just chemicals. You want NO2 to be 0 and NO3 to near 0 as possible.

NH4 is suppose to have a strong and unpleasant smell. Can you smell it, if there is a high amount in your tank? o_O

Back
Top Bottom