Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-30-2012, 04:19 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have to wonder if the DIY fridge chiller will cost more to run. The fridge chiller is not made for that kind of demand, it may tax the motor.

Old 07-30-2012, 06:22 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

I just want to chime in that while I posted the suggestion, it was given to me by one one the guys at the lfs. I don't have this or any chiller on either of my tanks. My reef runs LEDs and my fowler runs 4 x 54w t5's. The lfs guy did say to cut. Hole on the side for the in and out to make it more efficient. Didn't mean to create controversy.

Old 07-30-2012, 06:58 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

That's what our plan is. It may not work. But I want to give it a try before spending $600+ for a chiller when my LFS has a sale on a 180 gallon with stand light/hood for $609 lol. Just wishful thinking. I wish I could find a used chiller so we could get both
We are not planning on it working. Since I am home all day I can keep an eye on it.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:15 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

I see used chillers on Craigslist here all the time. Keep an eye on it and maybe you can find a good deal. Best of luck.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:49 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Give it a try and see what happens. I'm just pointing out potential problems, not knocking the idea at all.

If it does not work, then keep an eye on Craigslist. I got my used chiller there for about $200 (Artica 1/10 HP) and have seen them for less since ( of course).
Old 07-30-2012, 10:30 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

Oh no I don't mind. Love all the input. We have been watching Craigslist for awhile and the only one was a 1 HP for $550 which is great but didn't have cash at that point
Old 07-30-2012, 10:43 PM   #17
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosesrblu1 View Post
You could float some ziploc bags full of ro/di to cool the tank. A guy at the Lfs gave me a DIY chiller suggestion using a mini fridge and some tubing and a pump. Basically having the water run through coiled up tubing through the fridge and back into your tank. Definitely a rigged up DIY version for a cheap alternative. Good luck
I am officially amazed and sooo want to try this. I can have a minifridge beside my tank cooling my water. This would put it beside my couch so I wouldn't have to get up to get a drink! Why hasn't this been mentioned before?
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 11:22 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Another DIY style could be an ice machine from the medical field. Idk how expensive they are but I have one from many knee surgeries that is a cooler with a pump, valves, flow adjustment, and hoses that circulates icewater around a body part. Possibly one of these could be modified also.
Old 07-31-2012, 12:33 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

I would guess the smaller the tubing coiled up the more surface area you place in to be cooled, maybe half inch tubing? Sounded kind of crazy when I heard it, but if your only looking to cool 10 degrees or,less it would work in theory. If we ever set up,the mh on the 180g I might try this...we bought the set up with my and t5's but since we are running fowlr we only have the t5's running...time to,convince the hubby to,go,reef!!!! I guess I should get mine to 100% and scrap the new puppy idea first... Can't DIY this and drop a grand on a new dog! Would have to stock the reef!!!!

Tags
water temp

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com