Water Temp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lovefishys

Aquarium Advice Activist
Our 75 gallon is reaching 84-85 degrees. So far we have kept the lights off today, kept the canopy open. 2 large fans on the sump with the stand open. The A/C is very poor in our house right now at 85 degrees in the whole house! Every time we try to take off the top our eel try's to escape. Any other suggestions other than purchasing a chiller? Or how to make a DIY chiller.
Fish are 1 fuzzy dwarf lionfish and 1 snowflake eel.
Our 35 hex is getting warmer as well. That's at 82.
Thanks!

Any way to get a fan on the main tank? A couple
people responded to me with that issue that a fan can actually keep it cool by up to a few degrees, which would put you in the 81 ish zone...

You could float some ziploc bags full of ro/di to cool the tank. A guy at the Lfs gave me a DIY chiller suggestion using a mini fridge and some tubing and a pump. Basically having the water run through coiled up tubing through the fridge and back into your tank. Definitely a rigged up DIY version for a cheap alternative. Good luck

We have 2 sets of 2 computer fans running in the canopy because our light gets so hot! Yesterday our infrared gun read the lights at 146 degrees. But our top is completely enclosed since it is eel proof. We have no way to mount a floor fan to reach the top of the tank :(

I had sort of the same issue (except no eels, lol). The ambient temp on my house on hot days was so high due to no ac that my tank would hit 84 when the outside temp got to 90. Needless to say with summer & 100 degrees days i was facing temperature swings I didn't want to accept. I have LED lights too so I wasn't really heating up from that, just an older house with poor insulation that keeps the heat in. I bit the bullet & added a chiller & temp controller and I am so glad I did. With all the things to worry about at least now temp isnt one. Also from my understanding it isn't so much the temp at that range it is how fast it rises and subsequently cools. Slow swings tanks can withstand better b

Thank you everyone! We will first try to build our own chiller (fingers crossed) since we have most of the items needed if that doesn't work we will have to get a chiller. It would be nice to have our house that cold! Our landlord is cheap and won't fix the A/C. Last week Iowa had a heat index of 113. Surprisingly we haven't had an issue with the water temp until today.

The only concern I would have with the DIY version is that you can not control the temp. I'm not sure what the temp water a mini frig would put out, but it would be running constantly. Chillers turn off and on to keep your temp constant and you can set to whatever temp you want. I'm not saying it won't work, just throwing out some food for thought.

That's what we were thinking too. Either way we will need a temp controller which is the only thing we didn't have for the DIY chiller. My guess is we will try it with the controller and if (when) it doesn't work we will get a chiller. The one we want off dr foster and smith is on back order for a week.

Keep us posted on how this works. Seems like temp control would be an issue and I can't see the water cooling enough just being pushed through an area with cool air. I'm picturing my regular fridge with a filtered water dispenser...water comes from the wall inside the fridge into small tubing that is all wound up in the back. It's cold when it's been sitting there all day, but if the kids use a lot and run out what is in the line, it's not very cold. If the DIY chiller is constantly pushing water through, even with a relatively low flow pump, it seems like it would not be in there long enough to cool a few degrees.

I have to wonder if the DIY fridge chiller will cost more to run. The fridge chiller is not made for that kind of demand, it may tax the motor.

I just want to chime in that while I posted the suggestion, it was given to me by one one the guys at the lfs. I don't have this or any chiller on either of my tanks. My reef runs LEDs and my fowler runs 4 x 54w t5's. The lfs guy did say to cut. Hole on the side for the in and out to make it more efficient. Didn't mean to create controversy.

That's what our plan is. It may not work. But I want to give it a try before spending $600+ for a chiller when my LFS has a sale on a 180 gallon with stand light/hood for $609 lol. Just wishful thinking. I wish I could find a used chiller so we could get both :)
We are not planning on it working. Since I am home all day I can keep an eye on it.

I see used chillers on Craigslist here all the time. Keep an eye on it and maybe you can find a good deal. Best of luck.

Give it a try and see what happens. I'm just pointing out potential problems, not knocking the idea at all.

If it does not work, then keep an eye on Craigslist. I got my used chiller there for about $200 (Artica 1/10 HP) and have seen them for less since ( of course).

Oh no I don't mind. Love all the input. We have been watching Craigslist for awhile and the only one was a 1 HP for $550 which is great but didn't have cash at that point :)

You could float some ziploc bags full of ro/di to cool the tank. A guy at the Lfs gave me a DIY chiller suggestion using a mini fridge and some tubing and a pump. Basically having the water run through coiled up tubing through the fridge and back into your tank. Definitely a rigged up DIY version for a cheap alternative. Good luck

I am officially amazed and sooo want to try this. I can have a minifridge beside my tank cooling my water. This would put it beside my couch so I wouldn't have to get up to get a drink! Why hasn't this been mentioned before?

Another DIY style could be an ice machine from the medical field. Idk how expensive they are but I have one from many knee surgeries that is a cooler with a pump, valves, flow adjustment, and hoses that circulates icewater around a body part. Possibly one of these could be modified also.

I would guess the smaller the tubing coiled up the more surface area you place in to be cooled, maybe half inch tubing? Sounded kind of crazy when I heard it, but if your only looking to cool 10 degrees or,less it would work in theory. If we ever set up,the mh on the 180g I might try this...we bought the set up with my and t5's but since we are running fowlr we only have the t5's running...time to,convince the hubby to,go,reef!!!! I guess I should get mine to 100% and scrap the new puppy idea first... Can't DIY this and drop a grand on a new dog! Would have to stock the reef!!!!

Back
Top Bottom