Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-29-2012, 09:59 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Water Temp

Our 75 gallon is reaching 84-85 degrees. So far we have kept the lights off today, kept the canopy open. 2 large fans on the sump with the stand open. The A/C is very poor in our house right now at 85 degrees in the whole house! Every time we try to take off the top our eel try's to escape. Any other suggestions other than purchasing a chiller? Or how to make a DIY chiller.
Fish are 1 fuzzy dwarf lionfish and 1 snowflake eel.
Our 35 hex is getting warmer as well. That's at 82.
Thanks!

Old 07-29-2012, 10:04 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Any way to get a fan on the main tank? A couple
people responded to me with that issue that a fan can actually keep it cool by up to a few degrees, which would put you in the 81 ish zone...

Old 07-29-2012, 10:07 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

You could float some ziploc bags full of ro/di to cool the tank. A guy at the Lfs gave me a DIY chiller suggestion using a mini fridge and some tubing and a pump. Basically having the water run through coiled up tubing through the fridge and back into your tank. Definitely a rigged up DIY version for a cheap alternative. Good luck
Old 07-29-2012, 10:10 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

We have 2 sets of 2 computer fans running in the canopy because our light gets so hot! Yesterday our infrared gun read the lights at 146 degrees. But our top is completely enclosed since it is eel proof. We have no way to mount a floor fan to reach the top of the tank
Old 07-29-2012, 10:11 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Tank of the Month Award

Chiller. If your house is 85....
We keep our house 72-74 and I keep a chiller on our 450g. Peace of mind.
Old 07-29-2012, 10:21 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I had sort of the same issue (except no eels, lol). The ambient temp on my house on hot days was so high due to no ac that my tank would hit 84 when the outside temp got to 90. Needless to say with summer & 100 degrees days i was facing temperature swings I didn't want to accept. I have LED lights too so I wasn't really heating up from that, just an older house with poor insulation that keeps the heat in. I bit the bullet & added a chiller & temp controller and I am so glad I did. With all the things to worry about at least now temp isnt one. Also from my understanding it isn't so much the temp at that range it is how fast it rises and subsequently cools. Slow swings tanks can withstand better b
Old 07-29-2012, 10:49 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thank you everyone! We will first try to build our own chiller (fingers crossed) since we have most of the items needed if that doesn't work we will have to get a chiller. It would be nice to have our house that cold! Our landlord is cheap and won't fix the A/C. Last week Iowa had a heat index of 113. Surprisingly we haven't had an issue with the water temp until today.
Old 07-30-2012, 01:08 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

The only concern I would have with the DIY version is that you can not control the temp. I'm not sure what the temp water a mini frig would put out, but it would be running constantly. Chillers turn off and on to keep your temp constant and you can set to whatever temp you want. I'm not saying it won't work, just throwing out some food for thought.
Old 07-30-2012, 01:13 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

That's what we were thinking too. Either way we will need a temp controller which is the only thing we didn't have for the DIY chiller. My guess is we will try it with the controller and if (when) it doesn't work we will get a chiller. The one we want off dr foster and smith is on back order for a week.
Old 07-30-2012, 02:35 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Keep us posted on how this works. Seems like temp control would be an issue and I can't see the water cooling enough just being pushed through an area with cool air. I'm picturing my regular fridge with a filtered water dispenser...water comes from the wall inside the fridge into small tubing that is all wound up in the back. It's cold when it's been sitting there all day, but if the kids use a lot and run out what is in the line, it's not very cold. If the DIY chiller is constantly pushing water through, even with a relatively low flow pump, it seems like it would not be in there long enough to cool a few degrees.

Tags
water temp

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com