Water Testing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Roberz00

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok, So I have been doing my own testing with my LFS rep doing a back up test(sorta teaching me) and I have been having trouble deciphering the colors. On my nitrAte tests the low number on the chip is 10 and the water color looks to me like it never changes or sometimes a faint hint of a change; Now would that indicate a 0 level or does it default to being the 10? Its the Ocean Master SW test set and its a month old to me. Oh, I also have each test in a dedicated test vial as i bought refill packs just to be able to have dedicated test tubes. I get my water from my LFS 5 gallons of SW at $1.00 /gal and 5 gallons of RO/DI at $.50/gal. for changes and top offs.

I hope I made me query clear enough for u experts to understand because I think I confused myself. LOL

It's hard to get true accurate readings from hobby grade test kits. If your nitrAte is reading around 10 or less, I wouldn't be concerned.

It's hard to get true accurate readings from hobby grade test kits. If your nitrAte is reading around 10 or less, I wouldn't be concerned.

Cool works for me then as the water barely changes color when the chemicals go in.:D

Thanks for the reply/affirmation

The tests that start the color change at 10ppm are tough if your nitrates are less than that, and you really want to know what they are. I'd suggest a different nitrate test, like Salifert. With the Salifert nitrate test kit, you can get a reading down to 0.2ppm.

Salifert; hmmm, I'll look into one of those just for the nitrAte testing. My LFS rep. thinks along the same line you are and is pushing the store to get the Salifert kits for the in house testing. As I stated earlier, I am using the same kit/tests they use and had been recommended by many a local reef keeper here in my area.
Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom