wet/dry filter advice needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Will it be a good investment.

Sure. One thing to note is it comes with a rio2100 pump to return water to your tank. Some folks on the net have had issues with the rio2100's perfomance so it might be wise to upgrade that pump at somepoint. Note the dimentions of the sump and of the overflow that hangs on the back of your tank. Make sure you can fit those things on your tank and under your tank.

Thank you fishfreek, if they won't fit they have a 30-day money back policy, I was more concerned about the price and efficiency of the filter.

If it's a FOWLR, depending on how much LR you have, a wet/dry may not be the best way to go. If you have at least 150lbs of LR in the system, that should take care of the biological filtration. If not, I'd have to compare some prices before I said it was a good deal. IMO, if you were going to spend that kind of money, I'd go with a sump style filter instead of an HOB. Do you currently have a skimmer? Assuming you do and it's an HOB type, can it be run in a sump? I'm skeptical about some of the aquarium equipment on EBay although I know some of it has turned out to be very good. I don't like the Rio pump that comes with it either...you'd be much better served with a Mag Drive IMO.

Wet/Dry filters are one of the best ways of removing ammonia and nitrite from a tank expecially if its got a large bioload on it because of the way water trickles over the bio media giving the bactera a very oxygen rich enviorment to live in. The side effect of this is nitrate. WIth it being a fish only tank you dont have to be as concerend with nitrate as if it was a reef.

If you go reef at some point its easy enough to retrofit a wet/dry into a simple sump setup with out the bio media.

Back
Top Bottom