Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-04-2004, 07:13 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

The coralline algae will start quickly if there was any on the rock or in the tank to seed it and there's enough light and the water quality is good. Then over time you will start to notice new things seemingly spring to life on the rock. New things popping up all the time. I still find new stuff on the rock that I put in 11 months ago. I can't wait to see what will start popping up when I get this new batch in the tank.

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2004, 08:15 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular

cool so every thing could die now. and later down the road my critters and coralline algae will grow back. under the right lighting. i have read so many book these past weeks about light on reef systems. i am thinking about some vho lighting or power compacks. i here they do really good on reefs and you dont need the really expensive matel hilide set-ups. what do you think?
thanks
michael

Old 02-04-2004, 08:39 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to WarOrks15 Send a message via MSN to WarOrks15
well on my tank i just have 2 PC. i really like the way it looks with both lights on. all the white in the fish and the shrimp have a nice "glow" to them. i payed 236 i think for my unit 192 watts and 3 moon lights all in one hood. so i guess that would be a no. but it all depends on what you want to grow in your tank
Old 02-04-2004, 11:27 PM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
cool so every thing could die now.
Well not everything. I was just moving some rock around inthe tub where it's curing and re-postioning the PH's. I saw the largest bristle worm I've ever seen retract into a rock.

As for your lighting, almost anything will work fine for a FO or FOwLR tank. NO, VHO, or PC are fine. MH would be inidcated if you wanted to go reef, but you would need to make other changes to do that (dumping the wet/dry).
Old 02-04-2004, 11:34 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Regular

why dump the wet dry. i just spent like 400$ on it i wanted a reef set up. i thought a wet dry system was the way to go?
will it work?
Old 02-05-2004, 08:52 PM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
i thought a wet dry system was the way to go?
So did my friend. I've since dumped the bio balls and turned my wet/dry into a sump. I'm planing on removing it altogether and making a larger sump out of a 29 gal tank.

It's time to start reading the articles here and asking more questions.

If by reef you mean you want to add corals, etc. then the wet/dry should go unless you like doing constant maintenance and water changes. They are great at converting ammonia to nitrite and nitrite to nitrate. They are referred to as nitrate factories. That's fine for FO but not for a reef aquarium. Reef systems should be reading 0 for NH3, NO2 and NO3.

Tags
wet

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com