Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-30-2004, 07:51 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

wet/drys

hi i just got my new wet/dry filter today and my live rock on thursday.i am trying to cycle my tank with the live rock. i brushed off alot of the dead stuff on the rock with a brush and now theres more floating in my tank. i have my wet dry up and running but i dont see where it is a good mach. filter. i have a 55 galon saltwater tank. and i have a rio 17hs pump at 4 foot 850gph . how could i get the floating dead stuff out of my tank with out adding bad looking filters to the back of my tank? i hope you can understand this.
thanks
michael

Old 01-30-2004, 10:29 PM   #2

Sounds Crazzy, but womens hose and a painted unscratched coat hanger works wonders.. makes a real fine skimmer net...
Old 01-31-2004, 02:31 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

lol i have a fish net. i use now. i was just wondering if there was a better way.
i have had my liverock in my tank now for 2 days and my ammo is off the charts 8.0 and my nitrites have not started to yet but i wanted to know is it time to do a 50% water change so stuff on my rock dont die that i want to keep?
thanks michael
Old 01-31-2004, 03:02 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to WarOrks15 Send a message via MSN to WarOrks15
ya when i cycled with my live rock i did a 50% water change every other day. now that i am done with the cycle and put the lighing on it the rock i am vary happy that i did that. there is a ton of soft and sps growing all over.
Old 02-01-2004, 05:47 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

i am seeing alot of white film on the rocks now. will that go away or do i have to scrub them again?i just did a 25 % water change now i do another one here soon.
thanks
michael
Old 02-01-2004, 06:17 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

i would just let that grow. i took most of that off but i think it was stuff growing now. be sure to keep the light off in there so you do not get a ton of allege growing.
Old 02-03-2004, 11:02 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

i keep my temp at about 82 to speed die off. and my nitrites are about .25.
now i have a bunch of white film all over my rock and its really stinks bad the wife is getting mad.
during this cycling i cant keep my ph to stay at 8.2 its more like 7.8 or lower i add buffers. that works for about 3 hrs and then drops again.
i dont think the sudden rise and drop of ph can be good for the critters on the liverock can it?
thanks michael
Old 02-03-2004, 08:44 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

When your ammonia spiked at 8+ most if not all 'critters' died. You are going through the cycle, producing beneficial bacteria. After the cycle, as the rock matures you will start see an amazing amount of life coming back. I'm talking about months here, not days or weeks.

Doing water changes during the cycle period will lengthen the cycle time. The smell will go away.

Do you have any powerheads in there for increased water flow or just the return from the wet/dry?
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2004, 01:40 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

i have a water pump rated at about 750ghp at about 5 foothead height. . i have 2 power head in my tank at this time one a maxi-jet 1200 and a maxi-jet 900 for water movement. i guess theres no way to get around to saving the critters on the rock right. its ok i got time. not trying to rush things here. i made that mistake last time around. any more helpful suggestion would be greatfull.
thanks
michael
Old 02-04-2004, 05:56 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

well i would not say months to get stuff growing. my live rock just finished cycleing about 2 weeks ago and i got my lighing one week ago and i can see the rock change color. it when from a white yellow to a deep red. looks vary cool. but the soft corls that i got are makeing a little grow now.

Tags
wet

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com