Whacky thermometers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yohann976

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have two thermometers in my tank and they both have very different readings. My digital one says that the temperature is 75.1 while the floating thermometer says it's almost 84 degrees. Which one is right? What should I do?

does it feel more like 75 or 85? there would be a noticable difference.. id say get a cheap one from walmart and test the two... whichever is closer is probably going to be more accurate

Are the two thermometers near each other? If not, they could both be right. I'd rubberband the two together and see what you get. A 10 degree spread seems a bit much.

I just ran out to Wal-Mart and bought two thermometers. They both now have the exact same temperature as the floating one. I thought that the temperature felt pretty warm to the touch.

I've adjusted the heater and I'll let the temp down slowly. Then tomorrow, I'll purchase a new heater just in case.

Calibrate them. Get a glass of ice water. let it reach equilibrium. (There should still be ice floating in the water) The one that reads 32 F is correct.

Just remember to stir the ice water while checking the temperature, so that there is no stratification of the temp's. Also, do it in a styrofoam cup so that it is somewhat insulated.

Back
Top Bottom