What about Jelly Fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sig556

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Anyone keep jellyfish? Its a little odd but it would be different and with the right lights very cool looking.

If so what is involved? I would assume you would need a specially designed tank. A

Does anyone have pics of jelly fish tanks?

The Birch aquarium in San Diego has a few jelly tanks. They are all low light species specific tanks. I have some pics I may post later.

I would worry about how to filter it safely, it seems to me they would need a large space for any jelly, and even overflows and skimmers, not to mention canisters or HOBs you would risk making jelly out of your jelly fish.

I'll nitpick here and correct you...they are jellies, not jellyfish ;) If you are dedicated to hatching fresh nauplii almost daily along with feeding foods such as copepods, rotifers, and minced mysis then that is half the battle. Most jellies seem to do well in kreisels and if you are serious about keeping them, this is a must have: Amazon.com: How to Keep Jellyfish in Aquariums: An Introductory Guide for Maintaining Healthy Jellies (9781604941265): Chad L. Widmer: Books

Oh, and skimmers are usually shunned in jelly tanks due to bubbles catching under their bells so weekly massive water changes and routine scrubbing sessions are a must.

My friend has an upside down jelly in his refugium. It is about a year old and it basically pulses on the bottom. He doesn't do anything for it. I dont know if its healthy or even happy. My friend that owns a fish store says they need a tank with no sides and low light. Then they float around in it like riding the tides. He says they are very hard to keep unless you do like innovator said with the feeding. Not to mention getting stung!

Yeah, Ive seen round tanks they do well in. I think they can get stuck in corners in certain conditions.

Last edited:
No, I do not personally keep jellies; however, my coworker is what I consider an "expert" who has great experience professionally culturing various species and I feed off of her knowledge. The only jellies I have limited hands-on experience with are Aurelia i.e. Moon jellies. Either way, they can be quite durable and easily cultured if properly cared for, as in all things. The book I linked is a fantastic source for beginners.

Back
Top Bottom