Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-21-2013, 12:40 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

what are some best ways to lower ammonia levels?

I have been fighting a cyno problem the past week. I have been sucking it up and brushing it off my lr. Last night I lost my yellow tang. I checked my water and the ammonia was at .25. Im guessing this is why I lost the tang. All my levels were fine prior to messing with the cyno. So what is my best way to lower the ammonia level. I will be doing a 15 gal. wc change today. Does carbon help lower the levels? Any other tricks ?

Thanks

Old 11-21-2013, 12:48 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

they make special filters that work great but water changes are probably your best bet.i always use to get cyno but my water tested 0% ammonia

Old 11-21-2013, 03:36 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

How fast should the ammonia drop with the wc? Does carbon help at all lowering the ammonia?
Old 11-21-2013, 03:44 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

how many fish do you have in your 75 gallon?i have a 75 gallon with 7 fish and do 10% every two weeks and change my filters.i don't know what kind of filtering system you have but I have a emperor 400 and use carbon filters and never had a problem.
Old 11-21-2013, 07:45 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwint View Post
how many fish do you have in your 75 gallon?i have a 75 gallon with 7 fish and do 10% every two weeks and change my filters.i don't know what kind of filtering system you have but I have a emperor 400 and use carbon filters and never had a problem.
I have 4 fish. Flitration is a wisper and a 10gal sump with bio balls and refugium.
Old 11-21-2013, 07:48 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Another question I have been sucking up all the cyno on my gravel. Now my substrate is not as thick. Can I add more slowly over time like a cup a day? I use pool filter sand as my substrate.
Old 11-23-2013, 03:41 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshpwolf View Post
Another question I have been sucking up all the cyno on my gravel. Now my substrate is not as thick. Can I add more slowly over time like a cup a day? I use pool filter sand as my substrate.
are you sure it's cyano and not diatoms? The pool sand usually has silicates in it and that is what diatoms feed off of. Not trying to question your knowledge in a bad way if it sounds that way but the diatoms will continue to grow until it has used all of the silicates.
Old 11-23-2013, 10:06 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkey3425 View Post
are you sure it's cyano and not diatoms? The pool sand usually has silicates in it and that is what diatoms feed off of. Not trying to question your knowledge in a bad way if it sounds that way but the diatoms will continue to grow until it has used all of the silicates.
Yes defently cyno. Its red and spreads very quickly. I hsve managed to grt most of it out so its doing better. I hsve lost slot of my substrate due to sucking it all up. Do you know know if it woukd be ok to just add more. Would this cause harm to the tank?
Old 11-23-2013, 11:28 AM   #9
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Cyano is a sign of a nutrient issue in your water. This can come about form over feeding or even using tap water. How much are you feeding? This is usually the most common cause, people feeding their tank several times a day or just way too much food. This is being backed up IMO by the loss of the tang...how big of a tank are you running?
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 07:57 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
Cyano is a sign of a nutrient issue in your water. This can come about form over feeding or even using tap water. How much are you feeding? This is usually the most common cause, people feeding their tank several times a day or just way too much food. This is being backed up IMO by the loss of the tang...how big of a tank are you running?
I have a 75 gal. I feed everyother day. 1 frozen cube of brine or mysis shrimp that I defrost in tank water and drain before feeding. I do use regular tap water. Don't have the extra cash for a rodi unit. I use a chemical called prime when adding water.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com