what are some best ways to lower ammonia levels?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joshpwolf

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have been fighting a cyno problem the past week. I have been sucking it up and brushing it off my lr. Last night I lost my yellow tang. I checked my water and the ammonia was at .25. Im guessing this is why I lost the tang. All my levels were fine prior to messing with the cyno. So what is my best way to lower the ammonia level. I will be doing a 15 gal. wc change today. Does carbon help lower the levels? Any other tricks ?

Thanks

they make special filters that work great but water changes are probably your best bet.i always use to get cyno but my water tested 0% ammonia

how many fish do you have in your 75 gallon?i have a 75 gallon with 7 fish and do 10% every two weeks and change my filters.i don't know what kind of filtering system you have but I have a emperor 400 and use carbon filters and never had a problem.

how many fish do you have in your 75 gallon?i have a 75 gallon with 7 fish and do 10% every two weeks and change my filters.i don't know what kind of filtering system you have but I have a emperor 400 and use carbon filters and never had a problem.

I have 4 fish. Flitration is a wisper and a 10gal sump with bio balls and refugium.

Another question I have been sucking up all the cyno on my gravel. Now my substrate is not as thick. Can I add more slowly over time like a cup a day? I use pool filter sand as my substrate.

Another question I have been sucking up all the cyno on my gravel. Now my substrate is not as thick. Can I add more slowly over time like a cup a day? I use pool filter sand as my substrate.
are you sure it's cyano and not diatoms? The pool sand usually has silicates in it and that is what diatoms feed off of. Not trying to question your knowledge in a bad way if it sounds that way but the diatoms will continue to grow until it has used all of the silicates.

are you sure it's cyano and not diatoms? The pool sand usually has silicates in it and that is what diatoms feed off of. Not trying to question your knowledge in a bad way if it sounds that way but the diatoms will continue to grow until it has used all of the silicates.

Yes defently cyno. Its red and spreads very quickly. I hsve managed to grt most of it out so its doing better. I hsve lost slot of my substrate due to sucking it all up. Do you know know if it woukd be ok to just add more. Would this cause harm to the tank?

Cyano is a sign of a nutrient issue in your water. This can come about form over feeding or even using tap water. How much are you feeding? This is usually the most common cause, people feeding their tank several times a day or just way too much food. This is being backed up IMO by the loss of the tang...how big of a tank are you running?

Cyano is a sign of a nutrient issue in your water. This can come about form over feeding or even using tap water. How much are you feeding? This is usually the most common cause, people feeding their tank several times a day or just way too much food. This is being backed up IMO by the loss of the tang...how big of a tank are you running?

I have a 75 gal. I feed everyother day. 1 frozen cube of brine or mysis shrimp that I defrost in tank water and drain before feeding. I do use regular tap water. Don't have the extra cash for a rodi unit. I use a chemical called prime when adding water.

Can you possibly buy ro/di water from your lfs? Using tap, even with prime can cause all sorts of headaches, like what you have going on now

The ammonia may be from disrupting the sand bed, but it's not directly from the cyano, or removing it. How much sand do you have left?
If you are planning to add more I would do it in small amounts over a period of time, so not to suffocate whatever is living in the higher oxygen areas of the sand bed. Covering the entire bed with an inch of sand would surely kill off some, if not all, of whatever you have living in it.

The ammonia may be from disrupting the sand bed, but it's not directly from the cyano, or removing it. How much sand do you have left?
If you are planning to add more I would do it in small amounts over a period of time, so not to suffocate whatever is living in the higher oxygen areas of the sand bed. Covering the entire bed with an inch of sand would surely kill off some, if not all, of whatever you have living in it.

Some areas have approx. 1.5 in. then some areas I am starting to see the bottom of the tank. I was going to add like 5 cups over a week period would this be to much to fast?

Water cost depends on your area and if you want salted water already mixed. You could buy the water from those big water machines at like walmart and then mix your salt at home. Thats what I did until i got an ro/di unit. It cost me I think 30 cents a gallon, so not too terribly expensive. It would be a good thing to try out and see if you can do it, it will help immensely.

Water cost depends on your area and if you want salted water already mixed. You could buy the water from those big water machines at like walmart and then mix your salt at home. Thats what I did until i got an ro/di unit. It cost me I think 30 cents a gallon, so not too terribly expensive. It would be a good thing to try out and see if you can do it, it will help immensely.

Ok, I will check it that. Thank you for your help

just a thought. my tank had proba solid 3" sb when i set it up. i now have prob 8-10 bare spots behind rocks and in random spots. you more than likely are going to have bare spots no matter what when using PFS (thats what i use) so dont feel too bad if you have bare spots. i personally wouldnt add anymore just because its a bit of an un-needed headache .

Back
Top Bottom