What are some good schooling fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kfig7

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Was just wondering if there are any small peaceful schooling fish that would do well in a 75 gallon fowlr. I like the green chromis but they do seem to get bigger than I would want in a 75 gallon. I like to keep smaller fish to give them plenty of room. Any ideas? Currently have a firefish, gramma and 2 clowns.

Check out some of the fairy or flasher wrasses. You can get a male and some females for a harem. It can be hard to get females sometimes.

Also, some of the cardinals make good schools. The Pajama Cardinal fish would work with three to five fish.

Question....why do you want a school of fish?

I did have a school of chromis in my 120g who one by one killed each other. I still have three left by themselves in my 29 QT and they do much better. However, my original reason was to use them as dither fish. IMO it didn't really work. Now I have all one of each kind of fish with two clowns, and they all swim around quite well.

After looking at all of the many types of fish, I have yet to see a type of fish that I would want so many. In freshwater, there are many fish that school great in an aquarium. In SW, there doesn't seem to be many.

Wrasses jump. I like the flasher wrasses, and they work best when you've got a single male and 2 or 3 females. You'll see the male flash trying to attract them and it's a beautiful thing to see. Only thing is that when the males is after the females, they can jump.

Otherwise, check out the cardinals. They don't swim much, but they do hover in groups. Also check out the scissor tail gobie. They swim in groups too. Otherwise the chromis do work. They're just so plain looking IMO.

Check out some of the fairy or flasher wrasses. You can get a male and some females for a harem. It can be hard to get females sometimes.

Also, some of the cardinals make good schools. The Pajama Cardinal fish would work with three to five fish.

Question....why do you want a school of fish?

I did have a school of chromis in my 120g who one by one killed each other. I still have three left by themselves in my 29 QT and they do much better. However, my original reason was to use them as dither fish. IMO it didn't really work. Now I have all one of each kind of fish with two clowns, and they all swim around quite well.

After looking at all of the many types of fish, I have yet to see a type of fish that I would want so many. In freshwater, there are many fish that school great in an aquarium. In SW, there doesn't seem to be many.

Always thought schools of fish were cool. Other than that no real reason. The fish I have now swim all over the tank just fine. Thanks for the comments guys.

Would the scissortail gobies get along with the firefish?

Last edited:
Always thought schools of fish were cool. Other than that no real reason. The fish I have now swim all over the tank just fine. Thanks for the comments guys.

I did, too, but then I realized that I wanted a big of a variety as I could in my SW.

Would the scissortail gobies get along with the firefish?

Theoretically, yes. According to the books I have read, they are different enough. But I have not done it. I have a firefish, too, so I have avoided the scissortail for that reason. My lfs said they do fine together. But then they said that two firefish would be okay...and it didn't work.

Scissortails get to be fairly large at about 5 to 6 inches a piece. The flasher wrasses stay at about 3". Just a thought.

Back
Top Bottom