What are the best filter systems and why?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The best depends on what you want to accomplish in your system. Best to learn about all the different types of filtration and pick the one that you like best for your intended purpose.

Ok I'm looking for opinions from the experience you each have had with your filters.

Please share!

What style filter do you want? I've gone canister and have a fluval 405 and a eheim 2217 and am far more impressed with the eheim and will not go back to a fluval filter again and keep with the eheim actually am buying two more eheims for freshwater tanks.

EriksFish315 said:
What style filter do you want? I've gone canister and have a fluval 405 and a eheim 2217 and am far more impressed with the eheim and will not go back to a fluval filter again and keep with the eheim actually am buying two more eheims for freshwater tanks.

I had a fluval about 15 yrs ago on a 55g FO. I didn't like how hard it was to change carbon, etc. it was tough to get it to seal right. I also didn't like the tubing connections into the top of it. After my cat got in the stand and knocked the discharge tube out and drained the entire tank onto my bedroom floor (rental apartment, no less) I never bought another fluval. I'm liking my wet/dry sump on my current tank.

Wow what a mess!

So canisters and sumps trickle wet and dry are the best. I want to be able to provided good feedback when people ask whats the best.

Terrance said:
The best depends on what you want to accomplish in your system. Best to learn about all the different types of filtration and pick the one that you like best for your intended purpose.

When you say what you want to accomplish.... Filtering right? Or is there something else??

One that does mechanical biological and chemical. But for saltwater you may only want a filter that does biological.

If we provide an answer do we get a % from your business? :)

I'm about to start my first SW, and I'm going with either an Eheim or Fluval, haven't decided yet.

From research so far, everyone is right, it depends on the specific situation. If possible, an overflow with sump is best. Otherwise large canister filters can be used, but need to be cleaned every week with the same water from the tank. Eventually this frequency can reduce to every other week, and eventually every other month is possible

Eheim all the way. I'm using the 2217 classic and by far is better then the fluval I have. A lot more powerful.

Cool! Thanks!

I have a Marine Land 220 canister and i love it! It detached at the hose fittings without losing suction for easy canister content rinsing.

Before I broke down my 55g I was using a fluval 305 canister on it. never had an issue with it, not even once. But it does need to be cleaned frequently to avoid nitrate build up.

Any canister will contain excess nitrates, it';s just the nature of using one.

I recently got into putting sumps on my tanks and let me tell you, it is SO much better if you could go sump. I was scared to try the sump and ended up worrying about it when it's really quite simple. :)

Sumps are way better, but depends on your situation. I also have a smaller tank, I travel, and I move about every 2-3 years. So a sump would just be too much work with all of that!

Carey -
I'm in the process of setting up my first SW in a 29gal. I think I have my whole game plan thanks to everyone here and especially you! My last remaining question is I currently have a HOB filter rated for a 30gal. Do you recommend upgrading to a more powerful canister? And would the type of media I use be the same in the HOB and canister? From your previous posts, you suggested: "biomedia, carbon or GFO, filter pads, and filter floss"

Back
Top Bottom