What are the rules for adding to the tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

msjones41

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
What is the rule of thumb for adding fish and coral. My tank has been up since April of this year. It's 90 gallons on top and 40 gallons on the bottom. Living in it now is a cleaner shrimp, a clownfish, a yellow tang, 7 little chromis, a coral beauty and a tri-color chromis. I added a small green star polyp and mushroom coral in July but I don't think they are growing, unless the growth is just slow. Also have a few hermit crabs, little snails and peppermint shrimp. The crabs, snails, tang, shrimp and clownfish are the only fish that have been in the tank since the beginning. I just added all the chromis and coral beauty last week. I want my tank to not look so empty and have more colorful fish and coral. What should I add and when?

After adding 7 chromis I would give it at least a month. A lot of people would call you fully stocked with 11 fish in a 90. If you want a colorful active fish look into a six line wrasse. You could also maybe get a goby since they hang on the sand bed and out of the way of your other fish, maybe a yellow watchman.

Thanks so much. I looked at the six line wrasse and the yellow watchman. They both seem pretty cool. I didn't realize I had a full house! I guess that just means I need to get a bigger tank!

Yup! That tang will need a 125. I overstocked my tank but now im good. What I think about is, whaat will the tank look like with all the fish at max size. It helps with stocking alot. Get the 125! Theyre so cool. I have a 150 which is just taller. Good Luck!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom