What are these things

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sansouci01

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I shut down my power heads and filters to feed my fish today. Those little pellets get sucked up so fast that my fish can't get to them in time. Anyway..I had only the actinic lights on and I noticed what looked like hundreds if not thousands of little white things swimming around. I'm hoping they are something like copepods...Am I right or is there a dreaded monster in my tank lol

Last edited by a moderator:
they might have antennas. too small to tell. nice to have a pod population...tank is only two months old

When my Six Line Wrasse decided life was too much and he ended his life by jumping out of the tank, I started to notice a ton of things swimming around too.

It's been a few months, and they mostly stick by my rock and just scurry around the rock. They have not hurt my tank yet. ;-p

If you don't have a Six Line Wrasse and your tank can support one (30 gallons, tank mates being compatible) I would suggest one! They keep a lot of the population down of the things that swim in the night, plus they go after Bristle Worms. I like Bristle Worms as they clean up a lot, but at least the Six Line will stop them from becoming huge.

Wrasses are notorious jumpers and have an uncanny ability to jump out of small openings. You've got to have something up top to keep them in or they will eventually end up on your carpet.

@TheTodd

Sad thing is I was told they don't jump. :p I had everything closed off, but a few tiny holes for my equipment. I guess it decided it was time to die and jumped. :p

@TheTodd

Sad thing is I was told they don't jump. :p I had everything closed off, but a few tiny holes for my equipment. I guess it decided it was time to die and jumped. :p

I had one in a reef tank several years ago. Got out through a hole about a 1.5" hole. The rest was covered. I thought it had died and the CUC got it, but I found it behind the tank, all dried up, months later.

Back
Top Bottom