what can i get with my puffer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hemmer

Aquarium Advice Activist
i sold my anemone for my blue spotted puffer and he gets along great with my choc. chip star so what other inverts can i buy that he wont kill?

The puffer over time will try to eat just about any invert in the tank. I wouldn’t add a $20 shrimp but I have had friends with limited success with small hermits.

I've noticed that as long as I keep my blue spot fed well, he leaves my inverts alone! Just as soon as I miss a day feeding... a snail shell ends up empty or a peppermint shimp looses a head :0 moody lil guy but very cool addition!

That is pretty scary. The puffer needs to eat things with hard shells like crabs to keep his beak down, otherwise it will close off and he'll starve.

He will chomp on LR to trim his fused teeth.

I have had really good luck with larger hermits with my dogface. He doesn't bother them because they are big, but he is well fed.......porker.

I don't know about that particular puffer but I have a GSP in a community tank. Well it's brackish with a crawdad and a bunch of bumblebee gobies along with the puffer, also tons of ghost shrimp. I'd just say find fish that are quick enough to get away from him. Also make sure there are hiding spots for the fish in the tank.

I had hermits and astrea snails with my toby and dog face and they were fine. The blue spot will not get big enough to break any good sized snail shells. So some scarlet hermits would be a good choice and some snails would be good also. If he eats one a month that no big loss ,which I don't think it will do. Let me say my DF was only 4" so he was not large enough to crunch larger shells. IF you want a shrimp start with a cheap peppermint to see how he makes out.

Back
Top Bottom