What critters should I keep with my live rock?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kjdiver

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Just received my 60# of rocks from live rocks and put it into my 55 gallon. I took out 2 small shrimp (no idea if they were mantis or not) and put the other critters at the botton of a box into a bucket of saltwater )with proper sg).

Should I keep any of the crabs or will they cause problems? There were some red ones and some light brown ones.

What about the harry star fishes?

I'll dig out the other shells with animals in there unless this is also a mistake.

Please let me know what you all think...this is my first live rock purchase and I want to make sure I get all the benefits.

I'll post some pictures and better description of my tanks once I get this matter fixed.

Thanks!

kjdiver

Should I keep any of the crabs or will they cause problems? There were some red ones and some light brown ones. Keep the crabs they are algae eaters too.

What about the harry star fishes?
Keep them they are great detritus eaters and shift the sand.

I'll dig out the other shells with animals in there unless this is also a mistake.-
If you have snails or heremits they are great algae eaters so keep them.

I'll post some pictures and better description of my tanks once I get this matter fixed.

Post the pics on the shrimps to make sure they are mantis, if not any other would be cool to have in the tank.

I would post pics of any crab, shrimp or snail you are not able to easily ID. Many can seem unassuming but be quite predaceous.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom