Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-02-2013, 05:19 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

What do i need for 180g fowlr

Ok so I have a 180 gal it's freshwater with a sump underneath its been running for 5 years but now I'm itching to get into saltwater. I've heard I need live sand and live rock for biological filtration. Pound per gallon I heard is what's recommended. Do I need a protein skimmer? Do I need an rodi unit? I've got good lighting already the marineland LEDs. I think I need water circulation also any advice would be greatly appreciated.im trying to do this as inexpensive as possible. Thanks in advance

Old 04-02-2013, 05:57 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badambomb79 View Post
Ok so I have a 180 gal it's freshwater with a sump underneath its been running for 5 years but now I'm itching to get into saltwater. I've heard I need live sand and live rock for biological filtration. Pound per gallon I heard is what's recommended. Do I need a protein skimmer? Do I need an rodi unit? I've got good lighting already the marineland LEDs. I think I need water circulation also any advice would be greatly appreciated.im trying to do this as inexpensive as possible. Thanks in advance
Yes, you need live rock, live sand, and a protein skimmer. You could buy base rock, and regular sand and it will turn live after you cycle the tank. A good heater too. Lights really depend on what you wanna have in the tank. Coral requires good light while fish can pretty much do with anything. I have a 135 and my ro/di unit has saved me a boatload of cash. Replacement filters cost around 30 bucks every 3 months and the initial unit cost me I think around 65. Well worth it. As far as circulation that also depends on what you want or plan to have in your tank. Coral I'd usually 10x your water volume or more while fish only with live rock requires 4-6x on average. Also depends on what kind of fish. There's a lot of factors.
What do you have now for your filtration? Is your tank drilled? Also with fresh you can get away without having to do water changes. With salt, it's a must. Your looking around 100 gallons a month to Change out with corals. It's a lot of maintenance. Hope some of this helps!

Old 04-02-2013, 06:05 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm sorry but that advice is not accurate. You don't need rock or sand in your system although it does help a lot. The point to the rock and sand is surface area for beneficial bacteria which you could compensate for by using other media like polyfloss, sponges, bioballs, ceramic, etc. I do however reccomend using rock. Secondly the water changes, you can't get away with doing no water changes on 99.9% of aquariums even freshwater. The average for saltwater is 10-20% every week or two but if you are doing a fowlr then you only need to change enough to keep nitrates below 20 ppm. Then there is flow. Reef tanks on average run 30-50x flow with some I know of being over 70x. For a fowlr you'll want 10x minimum. With that said you can run your saltwater system being a fowlr almost identically to a FW system excluding the fact that you need to use saltwater instead.
Old 04-02-2013, 06:23 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrc8858 View Post
I'm sorry but that advice is not accurate. You don't need rock or sand in your system although it does help a lot. The point to the rock and sand is surface area for beneficial bacteria which you could compensate for by using other media like polyfloss, sponges, bioballs, ceramic, etc. I do however reccomend using rock. Secondly the water changes, you can't get away with doing no water changes on 99.9% of aquariums even freshwater. The average for saltwater is 10-20% every week or two but if you are doing a fowlr then you only need to change enough to keep nitrates below 20 ppm. Then there is flow. Reef tanks on average run 30-50x flow with some I know of being over 70x. For a fowlr you'll want 10x minimum. With that said you can run your saltwater system being a fowlr almost identically to a FW system excluding the fact that you need to use saltwater instead.
First of all, why would even recommend using bio balls or sponges? Rock and sand are needed for a tank in order to maintain water parameters. Nitrates will grow out of control without. I can see without sand if he were to go bare bottom, but rock is a must. 10-20% water changes would be 100-150 gallons a month. I don't know anyone who has fresh water that does that on their tanks. Flow depends on what he has. I reread my post and I misspoke, I meant fowlr for 10x. I do agree with 30x for coral but 70x is a bit much even for sps. I'm not trying to fight over this, but I disagree that the advice I gave Is not accurate.
Old 04-02-2013, 06:32 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Those lights are fine for fowler but if you ever wish for corals you will need to upgrade. With a tank that size I would definitely look into getting a sump, but that's just me. Protein skimmer for sure on something that big, look for something rated twice your tank capacity if you can. I would also recommend live rock, only because it would look so bare without it! And of course plays a huge role in your biological filtration. You don't see a lot of fake ornaments in salt either, looks tacky! Think about the kind of fish you want to keep tho, and invest in some salt water test kits and a refractometer for measuring salinity. Have a read on hear on how to cycle, it's different from freshwater too...
Old 04-02-2013, 06:33 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sorry, I just realise you have a sump. Nice, just make sure you give it a good clean and think about a refuge as well
Old 04-02-2013, 06:37 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmkb02 View Post
First of all, why would even recommend using bio balls or sponges? Rock and sand are needed for a tank in order to maintain water parameters. Nitrates will grow out of control without. I can see without sand if he were to go bare bottom, but rock is a must. 10-20% water changes would be 100-150 gallons a month. I don't know anyone who has fresh water that does that on their tanks. Flow depends on what he has. I reread my post and I misspoke, I meant fowlr for 10x. I do agree with 30x for coral but 70x is a bit much even for sps. I'm not trying to fight over this, but I disagree that the advice I gave Is not accurate.
You are saying "needed" and that is false and are you missing the part about me saying I reccomend using rock. And I'm lost on what you mean with freshwater because they tend to need larger water changes then saltwater tank but this thread is not here for us to bicker it is for the op to receive proper information and that is what I am doing so take it how you will.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:14 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

Great advice so far guys thank you. I do have bio balls in my sump now for the freshwater. What should I do with those bio balls after the saltwater conversion. With a protein skimmer i would love to put it in my sump but not sure how if it will fit. my sump is 2 chambers 1 side full of balls the other side has the pump. The thing that makes it difficult for me to do water changes with an rodi is I use my hose from the other side if the house to fill my tank during water changes do they have an hose attachment for rodi? That would make it so much easier
Old 04-03-2013, 02:09 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badambomb79 View Post
Great advice so far guys thank you. I do have bio balls in my sump now for the freshwater. What should I do with those bio balls after the saltwater conversion. With a protein skimmer i would love to put it in my sump but not sure how if it will fit. my sump is 2 chambers 1 side full of balls the other side has the pump. The thing that makes it difficult for me to do water changes with an rodi is I use my hose from the other side if the house to fill my tank during water changes do they have an hose attachment for rodi? That would make it so much easier
Yup my ro/di has a hose attachment. There are several options for them too, such as sinks and shower heads. Depending on how far away the spicket is you could prob just buy extra 1/4 " tubing from the site and run it to a holding tank or trash can.
Can you post a pic of your sump?
Old 04-03-2013, 03:49 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

Ill post a pic of the sump when I get home from work. The hose attachment just sold me on the rodi unit sweet!

Tags
fowlr

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com