What does everyone have for substrate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flaxon-Waxon

Aquarium Advice Addict
I would like to see what everyone uses for their tank, so I can get a bearing of what works well. Tell us what kind of tank, FOWLR, reef, etc... Type of substrate, grain size, etc and how deep your bed is. Please also say WHY you chose it and how it's working out, pros/cons... Thanks, I look forward to responses :cool:

I have Caribsea (forgot the size), but it's the next size from sugar fine (something like .5-.10mm?). It's great! Soft and pure white and doesn't blow around everywhere. I have 90 lbs in my 70 gallon tank, 3ish inches, and I wouldn't say there are many cons as I like the appearance and it didn't cloud the water too much AFTER RINSING. Then I have caribsea sugar fine sand in my refugium and even with a VERY small amount of flow, the sand blows everywhere even to the next baffle and compartments. Not happy with it, but don't feel like taking it out. I've heard it's really annoying in DT with the powerheads and blennies knocking up the sand and making the tank cloudy. I wouldn't recommend the sugar fine sand unless you don't have anything disturbing the sand or you're okay with a sand storm in your tank.

I have caribsea in my 36 FOWLR and arag-alive (i think) in my 55 reef. Both are just fine. I wish I would have rinsed them in both cases. Took forever to clear things up. There is no sand movement in the 36 and the little that is in the 55 is from all the stuff stirring up my sandbed.

What size grains does everyone use for their tanks? Is it the usual size that comes with the live sand, is it the real fine grain, etc...?

We always use the natures ocean bio activ in the bag. I think the size is .7-1.5. Does get too cloudy or blow around. I have used Carib sea and didn't like it at all.

Back
Top Bottom