what eats ditrus?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marcinek101

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 75gal FOWLR approx 80-90lbs of live rock that has a light coating of ditrus on it. I feed every other day and fish included o. clown, yellow tang, diamond goby, and 2 chromis. i try and siphon up as much as i can during partial water changes. My clean up crew consists of 6-10 hermits, nassarius snails, and some turbo snails. do i just need more crabs? and what happens to crabs after about 6months it seems like i am always adding crabs.

Personally, I wouldn't add more hermits. You could probably use 30+ snails in your tank, other than the nassarius. I'd go for astrea and trochus to keep your rocks clean. Also... when you do your water changes, blast off the rocks with a turkey baster, or the outlet to a powerhead. Think of it as dusting! Siphoning is good too, but blowing everything off really good does wonders.

What do you mean... "what happens to crabs after about 6 months?" Sounds like yours don't make it any longer than that? Do you have a fish eating them or something?

It's probably just crab eating crab. That's I no longer have any. Well not entirely true. I just took what I thought was a nerite snail from my sump and dumped it back into the main. It turns out it was a small zebra hermit.

Back
Top Bottom