what else can we use for rock....?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sstanle4

Aquarium Advice Freak
What can we use in our saltwater tank either than base rock or live rock? I would like some rock cheap at like lowes or home depot. Has anyone thought or did this before? Pictures would be great! Thanks for the help.

Live and base rocks are porous. Simple cheap rocks from the hardware store are not porous, so you will not get the same effect.

Look up on youtube about DIY (do it yourself) rocks. I'm uncertain if it would cost you more for DIY rocks or base/liev rocks.

You want to avoid any rock that would alter your ph, like limestone. Either way, limestone is not pourous and still wouldn't be a good choice. Think volcanic rock, that is what you want the rock in your tank to be like. I also believe that the DIY rocks require enough stages and curing that it isn't really worth it. Base rock is usually your best bet unless you can find a deal from someone tearing down or downsizing their tank off of craiglist.

Base rock can be had for about $2 a lb so it's not worth it to try to use another kind of rock that won't be effective as far as biological filtration and possibly messing with your ph.

How big of a tank are we talking about?

Back
Top Bottom