What else would you add 90 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Keep the filter cuzz your puffer is going to kill cuc so your not gonna be able to have bio filter

That doesn't make sense.

On the puffer forum, they don't recommend any tankmates with a puffer, especially a lionfish. They hear a lot of stories about puffers getting stung. Every tankmate and coral is at risk of getting bitten by the dog face.

If you post on their forum, the first thing they'll tell you is that your tank is undersized.

A 90 gallon tank undersized for a dog face puffer ??? Ok I'll go on that forum didn't know it existed seem like that is where I'll get the information to make my decision.

Anyways to y'all what do y'all think is a better fish to keep as the main display fish

A lion fish or dog face puffer?

What one is easier to take care of?
What one is more resistant to stress and other crap etc.
What one has more personality?
What one can have more tank mates?
Etc?

Personally, I think a dogface has a lot more personality. My dogface is an absolute blast to watch and has already gotten to know me rather well, and IMO has the personality of a dog! A lionfish would definately be more resistant to stress as they're more hardy than a dogface. But lionfish are slow movers and don't do as much swimming or interaction as the dogface, but a lionfish will still be a lot of fun to watch.

I think it's more of a personal preference, but I think you'd have more fun with a puffer. And people say puffers don't do good with lionfish cuz some puffers are fin nippers and it never turns out well if u nip a lionfishs fins lol. But the general consensus is that dog faces are the more docile of the puffers. And it seems a lot of people house dog faces with lionfish. Just look around on YouTube. I know that just cuz it's on there doesn't make it right for everyone, but it does work out from time to time

cashmoney6980 said:
Personally, I think a dogface has a lot more personality. My dogface is an absolute blast to watch and has already gotten to know me rather well, and IMO has the personality of a dog! A lionfish would definately be more resistant to stress as they're more hardy than a dogface. But lionfish are slow movers and don't do as much swimming or interaction as the dogface, but a lionfish will still be a lot of fun to watch.

I think it's more of a personal preference, but I think you'd have more fun with a puffer. And people say puffers don't do good with lionfish cuz some puffers are fin nippers and it never turns out well if u nip a lionfishs fins lol. But the general consensus is that dog faces are the more docile of the puffers. And it seems a lot of people house dog faces with lionfish. Just look around on YouTube. I know that just cuz it's on there doesn't make it right for everyone, but it does work out from time to time

Thanks man... I work midnights and have be reading about them alllllll day. How long have you had your dog face? What size tank? What type of tank mates ?

I start work at 4am and been up since 230 lol.

I've had mine for about 2 and a half weeks now, and he's been a blast to watch since day one. I got a yellow tang, foxface rabbitfish, and black and white clownfish in there with it now in a 125 gallon, and they all get along great. No ones ever had any scuffles, or acted territorial to anyone else. The puffer did make a quick lunch of my peppermint shrimp tho, and likes to nip at my snails, but hasnt killed or eaten any of them, YET lol. Puffers are more prone to things like ich but are still rather hardy and easy to take care of as long as you keep the parameter swings down to a minimum. My wife even loves my dogface, and she's never watched the tank as much as she does now. We even named him after my old dog, who we had to put down, because he acts so much like him. Even eats like a dog! He'll grab some food and shake it while he eats, like a dog does when playing. Rather entertaining to watch

Very cool. I work from 2300 hrs to 0700 hrs. There was a hurricane today where I
Live so not much to do. I work
In law enforcement.

Anyways. It's gonna be a hard decision for me I think.
If I go dog face I'll buy a few tank mates I think.

Probably 2x maroon clowns large
And 1 x foxface

Those should be decent tank mates.

Ahhh I hope all is ok after the hurricane! I work 4am-4pm driving forklift in a factory, but dont have much to do til about 6am lol.

The foxface is a lot of fun as well. And I think those should get a long great with the dogface, altho i have no experience with maroon clowns. Could probably even add a couple more fish to the mix as well. My dogface is the largest of the bunch, altho he's still rather small, only measuring about 3.5 inches so far, but still no problems.

My dogface even sleeps like a dog! Curls up in a small cave in the rock work with his tail wrapped around in him a little ball lol. And once He sees me in the morning, he comes rushing out wiggling his tail all over the place like a puppy begging for a treat. It's super cute and funny lol.

I think
You just made up my mind. I was at the lfs and they had a large dog face about 6 inches in length and absolutely gorgeous. Had a yellowish under belly with no spots. Also his dorsal fin was spread out and from what I read that's a good sign.

Yea that's a real good sign if it's spread out. I know you won't be disappointed with the dogface! Mines got a little yellow dot on his back tail, and got a little yellow around his mouth, then got black dots on his belly.

You have to post pics as soon as you get him!

Absolutely will do. Did you put your in a qt tank first

No I didn't, even tho I know I should've. I've read some horror stories of people not QTing and having the whole tank break out in ich or somethin, but from now on I am going to QT. I wish I would've, but I may have just gotten lucky. A few days after adding him I set one up for future fish I plan to buy

I don't qt either however thinking about doing it prior to adding to my new tank

Yep. Just bought a diatom filter. Supposedly if you have a ich outbreak this filter will help catch them. I also have the 9 w coralife turbo twist for ich outbreaks.

So yes I hate ich ....

Back
Top Bottom