What exactly is a refugium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jones1483

Aquarium Advice Activist
Can someone please help me with this? I want a green mandarin and it sounds like a refugium would be needed to let the copepods reproduce. not sure exactly what it does or how it works though.

a refugium is basically a safe haven for fish/pods/inverts to protect them from anything in your tank that might agitate or pester them. Hang on the back refugiums are common, but you can also have a refugium section in a sump. Growing pods in a refugium is a must when owning a mandarin. But i would suggest asking your LFS if the mandarin are eating cods well, or even better if they actually managed to get them to eat mysis shrimp or pellets.

if its big enough yes, but the tank has to have a large amount of live rock so your mandarins can graze on populations of copepods. 30 gallons is good if there eating frozen food, 75 gallons is suggested if there eating pods

I have a 75 here are a few pics

Attachments

• image-3839757695.jpg
    image-3839757695.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 89
  • image-1274919666.jpg
    image-1274919666.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 88
looks pretty good, just make sure you have a good supply of pods, these guys are vacuums, and notorious for starving.. like i said, if you could get a mandarin goby that eats brine shrimp and mysis, that would be great. But its easier said then done

Back
Top Bottom