Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-07-2012, 08:47 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

What is Essential Equipment

Alright so i'm building my first FOWLR saltwater tank using a 10 gal. I know I know it is harder to maintain smaller tanks. Well my issue is $$ right now. I don't have the $ to put into my big tank right now so i want to start small. I don't mind the everyday work of adjusting salinity and pwc and cleaning. My question is that I have the 10 gal, regular aquean filter, 50w heater and a standard light for a 10 gal. Is this all the equipment i need? Ive seen some guy building a sump and refuge for his 10 gal. Do i need all this stuff? I don't plan on a reef for this tank just basic fish and live rock. Thanks for the help!!!!

Old 03-08-2012, 01:24 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

You also need a refractometer to measure salinity. I would also get a small power head for more flow.

Old 03-08-2012, 01:27 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

For just fish and live rock you would be extremeelyyyyyy limited to what you can put in it, i would urge you to upgrade to atleast a 20 gallon, but your equipment sounds good, i would suggest a refragometer, swing arm hydrometers arent accurate
Old 03-08-2012, 01:37 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks everyone. I have a 90 gal that i'm switching to salt but only once i feel comfortable with handling this 10 gal. I'm only putting in 2 nano fish and some inverts. Nothing special just a warm up tank. I'll be picking up a refragometer and a nano powerhead tomorrow. Thank you two for your input. Wnated to make sure i had it all before getting it going.
Old 03-08-2012, 01:41 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

No problem, also make sure you use rodi water or ull be in algae city down the road
Old 03-08-2012, 01:43 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Your failure rate is a lot higher with the 10g than the 90g.

No you don't need a sump/refuge, but its recommended. Whoever you saw with a sump/refuge under the tank is doing the right thing. They probably got an auto top off system to help maintain the tank.

Don't bother buying stuff for the 10g if you plan to turn your 90g into a SW tank. No skimmers, sumps, or extra equipment. Save your money for the 90g. As stated above get bucket, salt, and refractometer for premixing water. At least you can get your feet wet with the 10g.
Old 03-08-2012, 01:47 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Exactly Terrance, I just want to learn the ins and outs and battle some tough times with the tank. I want the challenge so when things happen in my 90 gal I don't freak out and ruin it. I just want a learning experience that won't bankrupt me right out of the gate.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:27 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yeah tell me about it. I started with a 55g FOWLR. But, I think it will be great once I'm done with my fishless cycling.
Old 03-08-2012, 11:57 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

I got rid of my 55 to buy my 90 but it is currently freshwater. Let the trial begin. I'm using all my regular 10 gal equipment but purchasing a powerhead and a refractometer and i'll update on all the problems and successes i encounter!!!
Old 03-08-2012, 10:45 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

What do you need a powerhead for?

Tags
equipment

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com