Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-11-2011, 04:27 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

started a tank with 5 damsels..?? sure if they live long they will conquer your tank...lol

Old 03-11-2011, 11:50 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to rickster0620
That's what my trusted fish dealer said. He told me to take them back or flush them. I said I wanted a lion fish and he said that would take care of them too. Awful expensive feeders.

Old 03-11-2011, 12:12 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Your "trusted fish dealer" said to flush the damsels? That guy's a jerk and doesn't give a crap about your tank; except for what else he can sell to you to flush. BTW, get rid of the crushed coral; too much waste gets trapped in it. Aragonite sand would be best.
Old 03-11-2011, 11:33 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via Yahoo to George9
Oh god, flushing a healthy fish is terrible! Would you like to be Flushed? Fish are living creatures too... I wouldn't flush them if I were you. But that's just me. I dont know why the guy at the lfs would say that!
Old 03-12-2011, 08:29 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I think we are all getting hung up on the wrong thing. He didn't really want me to flush the fish. He was just making a point that they were going to dominant the tank and that it was not the way to start a tank. The other store took advantage of the fact that I am not educated about saltwater aquariums. The worst part was I knew not to trust the store they have screwed friends of mine in the past with freshwater fish. Things that I wouldn't have fallen for. I was and am in over my head. Now I'm getting an education the situation sucks but I'm in it.

How does on replace the crushed coral with sand? I'm assuming that I need to catch the damsels and put them in another tank then start all over. That's not much of an option. All I've got is a 20 gal tank.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:16 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Regular

rickster, don't feel too badly...I am in the same situation as you are. I am a newbie, did lots of reading, but so much of the information was vague. I went to the only aquatic store within 50 miles, other than Petco and followed their advice. I started cycling my tank the last week of January with live rock and live sand. I brought in a water sample a week later and they told me that was the time to add the Damsels. I did not know what they were going to be put through and thought they were just the first members in the tank. Sadly, I did not find this site until 3 weeks in. The tank has been cycling for 6-7 weeks. No ammonia at all...My plan now is to briefly remove the live rock, catch the damsels and return them to the store. Then I'll add more live rock and do the fishless cycle. I truly wish I had found this site sooner, but it will all work out for both of us. Look into lots of different areas of this forum, there are sooo many smart people here!
Old 03-17-2011, 09:00 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thank you for the kind words and encouragement. I am certain that there's plenty of very smart people in this forum and also quite certain that I can and will learn a lot here. I'll admit that I have a strange personality. I think too many people took my comments the wrong way. I guess when you spend as much time in the company of "consumers" like I do at work you lose the ability to sugar coat things. I was not trying to bend anyone's 'fins'. Just looking for advice. Bought "saltwater aquariums for dummies" that is helping me understand what I did wrong also proving that I didn't do much right. I thought 'just add salt' ha! I am enjoying the never ending water changes. Might just buy some scuba gear and move right in with the damsels.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:03 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Regular

Sounds like a plan!

Tags
live, live rock, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com