Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-09-2011, 10:08 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to rickster0620
what is growing on my live rock?

I'm new here and using a phone to navigate so please bear with me. I'm also new to saltwater and am probably the least desirable type of new member you get here. I rushed into getting a saltwater tank and figure I'll learn as I go. My live rock is sprouting little clear tube like plants can anyone tell me what they are? And more importantly do I want them?

Old 03-09-2011, 10:13 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Welcome to the forum. It's members like you that can benefit the most so when and if you have any questions feel free to ask and post pictures. Are you cycling your tank? Do you have fish? Size of tank, water readings stuff like that can be very useful.

Old 03-09-2011, 01:51 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I am cycling the tank. This of my first ever attempt at salt water. I am going with a fowlr setup but need more LR. I have a 75 gal tank with two otb filters and a canister to soon be added. Twin bulb t5 light w/ 2 - 28w bulbs (10,000k daylight/actinic-03) and five led night lights. Crushed coral for substrate. 4 pieces of LR probably 15lbs. And started with 5 damsels (because they said I should, "they" being the pet store that I bought my light from). My parameters are currently : specific gravity 1.025, Ph 8.4, kh 300, no-2 .5, no+3 20. Water temp is 78.6
Old 03-09-2011, 05:23 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

I made the mistake of buying fish to early in cycle process. I was doing water changes everyday to keep fish healthy. All because I didn't know better. Doing a fishless cycle is less costly and fish wont suffer. Keep an eye on your paramaters and be prepared for the water changes when levels spike. Good luck with everything.
Old 03-09-2011, 05:24 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Also you are going to need more live rock. Or else your cycle time will take much longer. I believe you will need at least 1 pound per gallon.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:07 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Yeah I intend on picking up more live rock very soon (maybe even today). Can't do much about the damsels though. What can I expect to pay for live rock anyways?
Old 03-10-2011, 11:11 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I found most of mine on CL for $3 a lb. Came right outta a tank break down too so my cycle was almost non existent.

In a LFS it's usually $5-$8 a lb here in florida
Old 03-10-2011, 02:31 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I just picked up a nice Med rock with very nice pink, purple, and orange corraline on it for $15. Looked on CL before I left for the house though.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:46 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via Yahoo to George9
This probably won't answer your question, but you can't learn as you go with the saltwater hobby. You need to do your homework! You can't just rush into saltwater......sorry I didn't answer your question.
Old 03-11-2011, 02:53 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I admit that was my outlook in the beginning. I'll learn as I go. But I've had a change of heart and I'm not that far off now. Wish I had not bought the damsels yet but I did so gonna roll with it. I just need more LR and a chemical test kit so I can lose the strips. Other then that I've got what I need. Now its going to be about getting educated. Read, Read, Read. And I'll make better choices.

Tags
live, live rock, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com