What is killing my marine red legged hermit crabs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JustSalty

Aquarium Advice Newbie
What is killing my marine red legged hermit crabs? My tank currently contains 2 Mexican Turbo snails (who spend all their time on the glass), 1 peppermint shrimp, 2 green chromis (-1), and 2 just purchased Clowns. When I had purchased a peppermint shrimp and the two green additional chromis 2 weeks ago, the next day crabby #1 was dead and a week later one of my original chromis was beating up and had died off. Today, I just purchased the two clowns and turned the lights off for the night now crabby #2 is dismembered and gone lying next to Mr. Shrimpy.... All water levels are safe. So- Any ideas on to what's going on when the lights go off? Could it be the shrimp?

UPDATE: No more Crabs left. As far as the Chromis I believe the one was bullied to death. Now this is an interesting observation... Whenever the crabs have died the shrimp molts the following day or so. The shrimp has molted twice since the 2 week period. Maybe he is repairing himself after fighting with crabs?

Last edited:
Have you heard a constant clicking sound from the tank? If so, you have a mantis shrimp. Or you could have a canivorous crab of some sorts. This is all assuming you have live rock in the tank. With all the lights in the room off, put a red lens over a flashlight and look around the tank, you should see something out and about causing your mystery homicides.

Are you sure the crabs are dead and haven't molted, the one red leg I have has the ugliests molts. Looks like a crime scene.

Based on what you wrote, the livestock you have is not the cause.

if it were only the hermit I'd say molt, but the chromis means bad things. gorrila crab or mantis

Back
Top Bottom