Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 10-25-2013, 01:47 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
Just something to consider...I am one who disagrees that RODI is a must for FOWLR tanks. For reef, absolutely, fish tend to be a little more forgiving than corals when it comes to water. I have used RO water and never had issues. RODI should have zero TDS (total dissolved solids). RO is usually very close. The extra 2-4 ppm you get with RO has never caused anything bad in my tanks. At $1.50 per gallon locally for RODI versus .25 for RO, I prefer RO.

Overall, saltwater is not that difficult to maintain. The startup is costly, but keeping things going is not all that involved. Asks questions here if you are ever confused, or unsure.

My words of wisdom...always remember that the folks at your LFS are there to make money. Advice from them can be questionable, at best, sometimes. Also, for buying fish, pay attention to the recommended tank sizes from places like liveaquaria.com. Many people put fish in tanks that are way too small and end up with health issues. They get frustrated and leave the hobby. Again, when in doubt, ask here. There is a lot of experience on these boards.

TheTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 02:34 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Originally Posted by Tmar View Post
if i offended ... I was only joking!
I am very very new to saltwater too and starting out very slowly with fowlr (hopefully):
No offense taken! I was just pointing out that I said something. Didn't mean for you to think I was offended.

Good luck, with this hobby slow wins the race!

Fish Sticks, the best thing you can do with your dead fish.
baron1282 is offline   Reply With Quote

ate, fish, fish only, salt, saltwater, saltwater fish, star, start, starting, tan, tank, water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com