What is the best filter for live rock?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

E Angel

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I got a 55 gal starter tank for X-mas, that came with a filter, lights, etc. I have live sand and I want to get live rock. What is the best kind of filter to start with? Can I use the lights my tank came with or do I need to upgrade those?

Do you have a sump? If not I use a penquin bio wheel on my qt and it seems to work ok. My QT is only set up for 4 weeks at a time so I don't know how it would work in the long run

If you get enough rock 1.5-2 lbs per gallon you can just get a HOB skimmer and let the live rock be your filter.

HTH

as for the lights the NO wouold probably be ok but you won't see to much coralline growth on the rocks. I had NO on my refugium and just upgraded to power compacts and in less than a month my rock rubble is turning colors.

Absolutely. Just get 100lbs. of lr and you will have a natural built in filtration. NO bulbs will still produce some coraline. However, you will love the way pc's look over the tank.
As tmcpeek pointed out - Your best investment is the skimmer and lr.

Mike

Thanks for your help. My next question would be how much live rock is 100lbs, is that going to completely fill my tank with live rock? My ultimate goal is to get an emperor angel fish, can it survive in that much live rock? I read that they should not be kept in coral tanks.

Thanks again.

100lbs. of lr would be close to 2lbs per gallon, which would be ideal for natural filtration. The more lr, the better. It will fill the tank nicely. Fish love hiding spots. This will also help if you plan on adding more fish down the road. Just build in two coves. I built mine up on one side, and built it up on the right side. This way there will be a sort of breeze way for fish to swim through like a channel. With this much lr, you will have less issues down the road when it comes to maintenance as well. HTH

Mike

I have 400 lbs in my 225 and it still has plenty of room. I have 180 llbs of base and 220 lbs of live rock. Check out hirocks.com for base rock. You will save some cash. I was lucky and purchased my live rock from a friend for $2.00 a lb.

OK, I will defintely look into it. My ulitmate goal is to have a emperor angle fish. I think they are the coolest fish. I read that as adults a reef setting is not good for them. Could an emperor angle live in live rock?? :

They do fine in a lr setting. However, you may want to look into the tank size requirements for them. Just a thought.

Mike

Not to mess up your plans but the E. Angel requires a large tank.... They say 130 or bigger for these fish because they get up to 15" long.
100lbs of LR is alot for a 55 IMO, being a narrow tank this will limit the swimming room for the fish. If you get very dense rock it might be ok but if you get poris rock that tank will be packed. I have 60 lbs in my 55 fowlr and that is plenty for a healthy tank as long as you don't over load the tank with fish 55-75 lbs would be fine. Again its all what your looking for in a set up.
NO lights will be fine on a fowlr, I have the strip light on mine I just changed the bulbs to a better kind. I have the URI actinic and super actinic and this brings out the colors of the fish better and coralline does grow under these, my LR is cover in it.
A skimmer would be a good addition.

Back
Top Bottom