What is the wildest/most exotic SW FISH you've seen?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dmac

Aquarium Advice Regular
Saltwater fish never cease to amaze me. I was looking in the LFS marine section today and was once again awed by the amazing cartoonish looking creatures. Just when I think I've seen them all, I see something new that just blows me away.

Today I saw a porcupine puffer. And though I didn't see it puff up, it was one of the most unusual looking fish I've ever seen. It's face looked like some sort of cross between E.T. and a fly.

Rin1002151.jpg

So what is the most exotic wild looking SW fish you own or have seen?

Also, how do they catch SW fish for aquariums? Are they just caught with other fish and the ones desirable for captivity culled out or do they specifically go for certain breeds and catch them in large nets or something?

its a good thing you did not see it puff up.. they do that when threatened and it causes stress on the fish and they can die from that. So its not a good idea to get the puffer to puff.

I think the strangest looking fish or invert I've ever seen was the Leafy seadragon or "Phycodurus eques" I seen it at the shed aquarium in Chicago. It looks like somthing out of a doctor suse book.

Attachments

• leafy5_jefflg_119.jpg
    leafy5_jefflg_119.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 63
Personally,I think a Court Jester Goby is beyond stunning,albeit small & just a poor choice for captive life.Also,some of the shrimp gobys are out of this world,if you're into fish that max out at 2".
An Adult Clown Trigger is always the first prize winner.

I've dove with the leafy sea dragons in the wild, absolutely amazing creatures, with top notch camouflage, wouldnt spot it if you werent looking for it.

Alot of the adult angelfish are stunning, emperors, queens

I vote for the Chambered Nautilus, beautifully strange looking, but not sustainable in aquaria to the best of my knowledge.

This question is a toughy because i love and think that all fish are wild and amazing. But eels usually catch my eye at my lfs and look amazing and the way they swim is incredible.

Ghost shrimp, what are they safe with, what will eat them?

Amazing...I love SW, someday I may try a tank, but right now money and time are the enemy.

I dont have any strange looking fish, i go mostly by colors and patterns, but my favorite fish to see at the LFS are Lookdowns. There size, shape, and metalic coloring are incredible.

Watching my princess parrotfish nibble on LR, then sleeping in a big snot-like mucous bubble is cool...

DSC00505-copy.jpg

I could never say what my fav is they change from day to day... but today its gotta be pacfic blue tang simply but the color is stunning
pw73746blue_tang.jpg

Has anyone seen the Foxface Lo? I have one and it is one of the most different kind of fish... It changes color severely when it is scared or on defense or sleeping... It has venomous spines on its back. It changes color so fast it is amazing.

I've never seen one, post a couple pictures if you can.

Foxface lo? Wow, this might take the cake

lg_77477.jpg

I"m surprised I'm the first one - but I vote for the Mystery Wrasse below for fish. For "Sea Creatures" - I'd have to go with the Peacock Mantis Shrimp. My avatar is a pic of mine.

Attachments

• 268119bed05f446fa823c38cad6a9e19e_114.jpg
    268119bed05f446fa823c38cad6a9e19e_114.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 27
Back
Top Bottom