Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-16-2009, 11:14 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Joester2k3 Send a message via Yahoo to Joester2k3
I had a bad infestation of bubble algae in my tank a year ago. I traced it back to being the wrong type of sand on my bottom. I had to tear the tank down remove the sand and i also scrubbed all my live rock to get rid of it. Ever since i switch to the Crushed Coral bottom i have only had one bubble show up and its gone. If its just one bubble its not bad.... when your whole tank is covered with it you'll know something isn't right.

Old 03-17-2009, 11:46 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm kinda guessing that the fact you stripped the tank and scrubbed all the rock had a major impact on the bubble algae - moreso than your choice of sand. How did you trace the problem back to your sand?

Old 03-17-2009, 11:55 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

The more research I did online and the more people I talked to I found out somewhere that the algae loves silica... And I had nothing but algae problems from the start with that sand. I later found out that i was miss informed by the manufacture of the so called sand I used (which was play sand) They told me it had no silica in it. Since the crushed coral I have only seen one bubble and thats it.. Probably one I missed. All my live rock is colorful and my fish are doing wonderful. Don't trust the play sands though is what i learned... Either go crushed coral or Aragonite Reef Sand. If I would have used those from day one.. I personally feel I would have never had the out break. But who knows it could have been something different all together. But with the change the tank has grown 3 times the rate it was before. So im happy haha.
Old 03-17-2009, 01:27 PM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to Tank2379 Send a message via Yahoo to Tank2379
Play sand?
Tank2379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 05:22 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank2379 View Post
Play sand?
Play sand is the type they use in sandboxes or around homes for looks. Some brands I guess you can use in Salt tanks while others you can't.
Old 03-18-2009, 12:25 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Hello )

I took the rock out of the tank and flicked it off. (It was on it before I bought it- and haven't seen any sign of anything like it anywhere else, so I think I'm good.
There is something else on a different rock though, that has been there since I got it- it looks like a white hard flower- kind-of square in shape.....with what looks like really short whiskers - my daughter tells me it's a stalagmite.
Sound familiar?
I don't know much about sand either, sorry, although I just called my LFS about all this brown stuff on it and they said to 'stir it up'
Old 03-18-2009, 01:24 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharonar22 View Post
I don't know much about sand either, sorry, although I just called my LFS about all this brown stuff on it and they said to 'stir it up'

That wasn't good advice from them at all. Unless the sand bed is super duper thin, you really don't want to mess with the layers. Vacuuming the top 1/2" or so is fine every once in a while, but "stirring it up" will just release all the nasties back into your tank before they've had a chance to fully break down. That could then lead to another cycle, with spikes in ammonia and nitrites. Granted... I think your tank is new, so there's not much to stir up, but down the road I wouldn't recommend it.

I'm guessing the brown stuff - if it's like rust - are just diatoms, which are normal for new tanks. They'll eventually burn themselves out. If your cycle is complete, then adding a good clean up crew of astrea or trochus snails would be another way of getting rid of them. Trochus snails will devour the stuff in no time.

If the brown stuff is slimy and sheet-like, then it's most likely cyanobacteria which normally is from too many nutrients - either from overfeeding, lack of water changes, or using tap water with high nitrates or phosphates in it. Better water quality, as well as siphoning out the cyano along with a little sand, is a good first order of defense against the stuff. If you continue having issues, then do some searching here on "cyanobacteria" and you'll find a lot of good advice!
Old 03-18-2009, 05:59 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Activist

kurt_nelson. Good to see another Aussie!
Old 03-18-2009, 03:57 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by spikey View Post
kurt_nelson. Good to see another Aussie!
Sorry to disappoint, but the "WA" means Washington state in the US.
Old 03-19-2009, 07:05 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Activist

Oh!!!!!

I will know for next time.

Don't mean to sound disappointed.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com