What kind of Live Rock is this

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
C

cj10488

I was wondering if someone could tell me what kind of Live rock this is and if it looks healthy.

Thanks In Advance,
James

I dont know of anyway to tell if live rock is healthy. It looks like it has coralline on it. As to the kind i really dont think you can tell where it came from just by looking at it.

I found that yes it is in fact Fiji LR. I picked up another 6lbs of it today and it seems so different. The rock is twice that size but the previous one weighed in at 5lbs. I am just a newbie so forgive my stupidity.. What is coraline alge? Also i have been noticing that there is some finger looking things growing off this piece of rock in the pic. I have looked around everywhere but cant seem to find out what it is..

TIA,
James

Does anyone know what these might be? I have looked everywhere and cant seem to find anything

James

Look like some kind of Feather duster or worm tubes (vacated).

coralline algae - algae that secrete calcium carbonate in their tissues. Hard, encrusting, red coralline algae are significant reef builders in some areas. In wild reefs they tend to cement old corals together that form the reef itself.

In the aquarium it is a sign of a healthy aquarium, a visual pleasing sight as well as some filtration I believe.

Back
Top Bottom