What should I be feeding my fish??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Iguana

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I purchased a 120 gal tank with 11 fish and the guy I bought it from has had it 12 years, some of the fish are 11 years old. He has been feeding them freeze dried jumbo shrimp & a mix of freeze dried plankton and Tetra tropical granuals. the automactic feeder feeds at 7:00 pm everyday. Here are the fish I have:

Sail Fin Tang 11yr
2 Regal Tangs 10yr & 2yr
Yellow Tang 10yr
Niger Trigger 5yr
Clown Trigger 3yr
Porcupine Puffer 3yr
Stars & Stripes Puffer 3yr
Blue Faced Angle 2yr
Naso Tang 1yr
Harlequin Tusk 1yr

They seem hungry all the time? Any suggestions?

Attachments

• tank_view_206.jpg
    tank_view_206.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 261
just mix it up, you'll see what they like.

I feed freeze dried krill, formula 1 and 2 flake, emeral entree, frozen squid and clam.

Feed what he has been, seems to have worked.

No Iam posting for myself. I just wanted to explain what the guy was been feeding them, because they are so old and soing good. I just feel that they are bored and act hungry. I also give them romain lettuce every other day. But I have herd that this is not good for them??

feed seaweed instead of lettuce for nutrition.

They aren't bored, but I imagine they will eat anything! Feed what you like.

Let them eat cake ;)!

I'v been reading on other threads about Nori. Is it good? Where can I get it?
Should I be feeding them some frozen stuff?? The LFS said my puppers need something with bones in it.

Any good LFS should sell Nori sheets. Some even use Noris for sushi (unseasoned of course).

Puffers need something hard to gring their beaks on. Especially since u don't have LR, I would feed clam, silversides, freeze dried krill to give them something hard to chew on.

HTH

Also, any frozen (or fresh) food mix will greatly benefit from being soaked in Garlic Guard and Zoe. The garlic helps keep the immune system up and the zoe is fish vitamin. Maybe even try it on your sheet food too.

Thank you for all your advice! Should I keep feeding my fish the Freeze dried Jumbo shrimp and the plankton & tropical granual mix??

Sure, go ahead and feed them that. What do you have for filtration? Lots of food and lots of messy eating fish could equal water problems.

Not to say it can't work because obviously it has...the previous owner just may have been a maniac with upkeep/water changes :)

Yeah he was! I would like to not have that much of a mess. So, should I not fee the dried stuff??

The key is quality over quanity. I would feed every other day instead of every day, with the exception being nori hung in the tank daily. I feed frozen krill/mysis and marine cusine that has been thawed and rinsed in RO/DI water. To that I add selcon, vita-chem, cyclop-eeze, and garlic extreme. Let it soak then mix it with a little tank water and feed in sections.

For your puffers, stop by your local grocery store and see what they have with the shell on.

Variety is more important than getting a specific ideal food. You wouldn't fare very well on only steak or only broccoli.

Back
Top Bottom