what should I buy first??????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amp123dime

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have some money not a lot and I want to invest in upgrading my saltwater tank here is my setup I have a 46 gallon bow front tank with 2 whisper 40-60 power filters hang on back style. I have a mix of 20#crushed coral with 20#Live sand mixed. about 20# live rock and a puffer fish with 2 damsels and 1 emerald crab. With a 36" coralife lunar aqualight (192 watts) I have an algae issue and I am tired of cleaning it every 4 days to make it look like the local fish stores perfect tank. I want crystal clear water without a huge amount of maintenance. I would also like to add some more life to my tank. I was thinking a blenny or a trigger or a tang or a large angelfish or a snowflake eel or a lionfish. I don't know?? I do that that I have been told that my puffer is way to big for my 46 gallon bow but he has not grown that much at all in the past 2 months and I doubt he will grow enough for me to get a new tank for a while. when he does grow I will get a new tank. I have no protein skimmer and I have been told I need one. and have been told I need way more live rock. and to get rid of my crushed coral and replace with all sand. but the real question is what do I spend my hard earned money on first. My fish is damn happy no problems but what do I buy first???????????????????????

Live rock or skimmer both are good choices unlike your fish wish list for a 46 gal tank.
HOw much $$ you talking about here??
RO/DI unit will help with water quality and less algae. What kind of algae are you dealing with?

Definately a skimmer and rock. But also depends on how much money you have. I say if you have around $400-500, you could get your skimmer, some rock and maybe a UV filter. but then again it depends on how much you have.

seaham358 said:
Live rock or skimmer both are good choices unlike your fish wish list for a 46 gal tank.

I just wanted to reitereate seaham's comment about your potential stocking list. The blenny is the only thing on that list that is probably appropriate for a 46g bowfront. It really doesn't matter how big the fish is, it's how much room it needs to "do it's thing" and how much water you need to be able to keep the water parameters decent.

Regarding your actual question - I'd get more live rock first. Yeah... a protein skimmer is going to help also, but I think the live rock is a more basic need.

Back
Top Bottom