What should i do with this nano 17 gal.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KSum89

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have it set up in my room, 17 gal bow front. I think thats what it is. I have a 55 gallon downstairs with fish and live rock.. Soon to add corals as soon as it ages.

So question is what should i do with this new tank. Quarantine, nano or what???
Cant make it a sump for my 55 since its a bowfront. I plan on getting a regular long 20 or 10 gal for that sometime soon i hope. carey told me itll be a hassel and im taking her word for it, shes a pro.

Attachments

• image-1381448627.jpg
    image-1381448627.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 151
If you don't have a quarantine, that's why I think you should do with it. =]

I vote quarantine as well. You never know what may happen plus it's big enough to treat multiple fish over a 10g setup.

Thing about that, qt sounds boring lol. I dont plan on adding anything for a while and my current livestock in my 55 is doing ok. So basically a set up tank, with a piece of base rock, a running filter and heater but no fish in it. :(

LOL I actually wouldnt put any rock in a qt, the meds can leech into it making in unuseable.

I know it would be way way cooler to set it up and put in fish and all but thats gonna cost ya some $$ and time. It's up to you. :)

I have a bow front tank and I love it . I say put a fun fish in here like a Fw puffer . They have so much character !

I dont know what to do, i thought about freshwater to but if i make it a qt without rock wont that stress the fish, it wont have anywhrre 2 hide.

And idk about freshwater im loving the saltwater side right now lol, i used to have a 55 with 3 clown loaches and angels. I like saltwater fish alot more

yea sw is definately more fun atleast to me anyway lol and if you wanted to make it a QT tank you could get a large pvc elbow and put in the tank for the fish to hide etc

So i would have the electric bill runnin up with just water circulatin and a pvc elbow sitting there  it would have a meaning if it had fish in it lol but everyone think i should go ahead ans take the qt roll with this pretty tank?

No I think you should defiantly do something with it . It's such a nice tank just use a smaller cheap one for a qt tank

What will i be able to keep in this smaller one? That wouldnt be able to live in my 55. And will this sand substrate work i a sw aquarium.. My mom got it, she was gonna start a freshwater tank but changed her mind. She had bought this 20 pound bag of fw/sw sand. Says its ok for both but im making sure.

Just talked to my mom about it, im still lost. She said why you wanna start another salt water when u have a big one down there.. Only thing i could think of is.. Maybe i can add a different type of fish that wouldnt mix well with the ones in the 55 gal. But all of them need a bigger tank.. Like the lionfish!

She said i think u should start a molly tank... I walked away.

Attachments

• image-578729230.jpg
    image-578729230.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 101
Good for you! :p Even if you did start a freshwater tank, 17g isn't big enough for mollies.

I think so. =] And if you're not planning to add any more livestock, it can also work as a hospital tank.

Rosenweiss said:
I think so. =] And if you're not planning to add any more livestock, it can also work as a hospital tank.

Do i need sand? And do i need to seperate my cleaner and peppermint, i think my cleaner struck my peppermint this morning when i looked thru the side of the tank. They have been super close on one side of my 55, big tank and they are in the same spot...

Im gonna make it a qt tank.. Imma need it anyway. Decided to order a few fish from liveaquaria and watch them in it before i move em in my 55. Whenever its set up. Should i move half of my water from my 55 into my qt tank? To quicken the cycle. Liveaquaria has so many fish that my lfs doesnt.

I would go with QT. So long as you buy fish small enough to have swimming room in there better safe than sorry. If you get flatworms or something in on a fish you'll regret not having QTed it.

KSum i run a small HOB on my 90 i use it for my qt 20g. i keep it dry (20g) till needed i fill it with water from the 90g then place the HOB on the 20g, keep a 4in elbo for fish to hide. No sand no rock When im done every thing gets cleaned the hob go's back on the 90 till next time this way theres no cycle in the qt tank i pack the hob with polyfill only hope this helps

Back
Top Bottom