Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 11-07-2009, 08:49 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic
what are fancy clowns? Never heard of those.

Jaybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 05:02 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm not entirely sure, I think its just a naming convention of the breeder - Sustainable Aquatics. All 3 were a darker orange and smaller compared to the "regular" ocellaris ones they had.

EDIT: Here's something I found on Reef Central from a SA rep:

For the "SA Fancy," the broostock pair that produces these fish was purchased as an "ORA Retired" orange ocellaris pair from LA's Diver's Den. They arrived looking much like any other orange ocellaris with the exception of extra black trim--hence the "fancy" designation.

As far as I know and can tell, they are pure orange ocellaris that simply develop a very distinct black outline or "trim" on all of the fins that distinguishes them from the "normal" orange ocellaris. They also seem to develop a dusky or dark appearance around their stripes. We decided to officially name/market them after we received several requests for "those ones with the neat black trim" after including them with our normal shipments. Since we track all of our lines and keep all of the growout for each breeding pair separate, it is easy for us to put a name on a unique variety and add it to the availability list, which allows the customer to request specific varieties within a species.

atte is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com