What should I get next?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

atte

Aquarium Advice Activist
My 29gal has been running successfully since the end of August with a blue-green chromis and an ocellaris clown, so I figure it's fine to add a couple more fish slowly.

I think I want another clown so they can form a pair, and I know chromis prefer groups but I'm open to going in any direction with new additions. So far I've only really looked at a Kaudern's Cardinal. What do you guys suggest I pick up?

I haven't really seen the need for one so all I have in there right now is one nassarius snail and a turbo/astraea for algae.

I would suggest a Bi-Colored Blennie, or a Small Gobie maybe an Orange Spot Gobie or a Bluespot Jawfish would be a good addition to your tank...

a nice goby would be good. Some hermits would also be nice.....a larger electric blue hermit..they are cool to watch.

Thanks for all the suggestions. :)

I'm leaning towards getting a Banggai and possibly another clown soon, and then probably some form of a goby (neons look cool) and shrimp sometime later. I really want a mandarin but I've heard they are reaally picky eaters and do better in larger tanks so I decided against it.

Just another question, none of the pet stores nearby carry any of these kinds of fish. The one I usually visit only has clowns, damsels, and common fish of that type. I visited the other one that had a large variety in the past and they seemed to have either run out of stock or downsized their marine section. The main thing about buying online is the shipping, which will probably end up costing more than the actual fish. What are your experiences with getting your LFS to order fish for you?

I am a little hessitant about adding another clown in a tank that small. Make sure if you do that the clown is the same and must be way smaller or way larger for them to pair but they might not pair up either way. No guarantee

Thanks for the heads up melosu. My LFS had a separate tank with two juvenile SA Fancy clowns other than the one I bought (the one I already have). I will see if they still have more and will definitely make sure I can return in case it doesnt work out.

I'm not entirely sure, I think its just a naming convention of the breeder - Sustainable Aquatics. All 3 were a darker orange and smaller compared to the "regular" ocellaris ones they had.

EDIT: Here's something I found on Reef Central from a SA rep:

For the "SA Fancy," the broostock pair that produces these fish was purchased as an "ORA Retired" orange ocellaris pair from LA's Diver's Den. They arrived looking much like any other orange ocellaris with the exception of extra black trim--hence the "fancy" designation.

As far as I know and can tell, they are pure orange ocellaris that simply develop a very distinct black outline or "trim" on all of the fins that distinguishes them from the "normal" orange ocellaris. They also seem to develop a dusky or dark appearance around their stripes. We decided to officially name/market them after we received several requests for "those ones with the neat black trim" after including them with our normal shipments. Since we track all of our lines and keep all of the growout for each breeding pair separate, it is easy for us to put a name on a unique variety and add it to the availability list, which allows the customer to request specific varieties within a species.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom