Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-28-2006, 09:57 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to TheChad
What should the Water Temp, Salinity, and PH be at for FOWLR

Hey all,

I have been reading alot on the internet and here since we started our 29gal SW tank alittle over a month ago.

We will be upgreading to a 55gal in the next month, as we decided the 29 gal just wasn't big enough to hold the LR and fish we wanted to keep.

Anway, In my readings there are majior variences in what people say the Water temp, Salinity, and PH should be. Water temp I've seen between 78-84 degrees, Salinity I've seen between 1.019-1.025, and PH i've seen between 8.0-8.4.

What should thease parameters be at? I understand for Salinity, the lower 1.019 keeps parasites under controll, but that the ocean is closer to 1.023, Some say 1.019 doesn't affect the fish and the water should be kept there. The tempature, right now our 29 gal is at 78, but I read more and more of tempatures between 82-84. What should it be?

Thanks,

-TheChad

Old 01-28-2006, 10:09 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
pick an easy to maintain level on everything....there is a little leeway on every parameter you mentioned. It is more important to maintain stability than to strive for a "text book, perfect number". Personally, my FO tanks are at 1.025, ph of 8.0, Temp 82

Old 01-28-2006, 10:27 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I want to jump in here and ask a quick ? on temp (i hope you don't mind TheChad). I was running my tank around 80 then my LFS said it would be better between 74-76 because this was the temperature (roughly) in the ocean. The LFS is on of the good ones. Which should it be?
LIVESTOCK:
4 false clowns, 2 firefish, cardinal, midas blennie, toadstool, zoos, shrooms, trumpet coral, torch, pagoda, frogspawn, poylps, red open brain, devils hand, hermits, snails, 3 cleaner shrimp, coral banded and a emerald crab.
canyon15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 10:28 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to TheChad
Is there a benefit to keeping the water temp higher, or the salinity Higher or lower?

Any effects on the fish?

Thanks,

-TheChad
90 Gallon Drilled Glass Tank w/ Corner Overflow: 492w (2x 150w 14,000K MH, 2x 96w Actinic CF) Coralife Aqualight Pro | Custom 34x15x15 Sump/Refugium | SWC Skimmer | Coralife Turbo-Twist 6x UV Sterilizer | Maxi-Jet Power Head w/Sure Flow Upgrade Kit | 120lbs of Live Rock | 100lbs of Live Sand
TheChad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 12:56 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

For fish only you can maintain a lower specific gravity/salinity (like 1.018). I believe it helps with gas exchange as well as reducing the risk of parasites...
Old 01-29-2006, 03:46 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to BrennanX
Every book I have read, in terms of FO, has stated that the consistancy of the number (as long as its not completely out of the range) is much more important than the physical number
Old 01-29-2006, 02:05 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by canyon15
I was running my tank around 80 then my LFS said it would be better between 74-76 because this was the temperature (roughly) in the ocean.
Depends on where. I know that in the tropics and places where we mostly get our fish, the water temp is around 80. The reefs are typically closer to shore and in shallower water.
boardsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 05:34 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to jaiden
higher temps cause higher metabolism, and therefore more eating and more waste. whether this bothers your tank depends on a lot of things. I maintain 77 right now, and a little higher in the summer to save a few bucks.

Red tiger lilly, Rotala Indica, Sagittaria Subulata, Micro Sword, Cardinal Plant
Fluorite Black sand and gravel
jaiden is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fowlr, salinity, water temp

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com