What should the Water Temp, Salinity, and PH be at for FOWLR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheChad

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey all,

I have been reading alot on the internet and here since we started our 29gal SW tank alittle over a month ago.

We will be upgreading to a 55gal in the next month, as we decided the 29 gal just wasn't big enough to hold the LR and fish we wanted to keep.

Anway, In my readings there are majior variences in what people say the Water temp, Salinity, and PH should be. Water temp I've seen between 78-84 degrees, Salinity I've seen between 1.019-1.025, and PH i've seen between 8.0-8.4.

What should thease parameters be at? I understand for Salinity, the lower 1.019 keeps parasites under controll, but that the ocean is closer to 1.023, Some say 1.019 doesn't affect the fish and the water should be kept there. The tempature, right now our 29 gal is at 78, but I read more and more of tempatures between 82-84. What should it be?

Thanks,

-TheChad

pick an easy to maintain level on everything....there is a little leeway on every parameter you mentioned. It is more important to maintain stability than to strive for a "text book, perfect number". Personally, my FO tanks are at 1.025, ph of 8.0, Temp 82

I want to jump in here and ask a quick ? on temp (i hope you don't mind TheChad). I was running my tank around 80 then my LFS said it would be better between 74-76 because this was the temperature (roughly) in the ocean. The LFS is on of the good ones. Which should it be?

Is there a benefit to keeping the water temp higher, or the salinity Higher or lower?

Any effects on the fish?

Thanks,

-TheChad

For fish only you can maintain a lower specific gravity/salinity (like 1.018). I believe it helps with gas exchange as well as reducing the risk of parasites...

Every book I have read, in terms of FO, has stated that the consistancy of the number (as long as its not completely out of the range) is much more important than the physical number

canyon15 said:
I was running my tank around 80 then my LFS said it would be better between 74-76 because this was the temperature (roughly) in the ocean.

Depends on where. I know that in the tropics and places where we mostly get our fish, the water temp is around 80. The reefs are typically closer to shore and in shallower water.

higher temps cause higher metabolism, and therefore more eating and more waste. whether this bothers your tank depends on a lot of things. I maintain 77 right now, and a little higher in the summer to save a few bucks.

Back
Top Bottom