What size pump?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

24 hours? NE!

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm setting up a 55 gallon tank with a 25 gallon sump. The pump has about 4 feet or so straight up to pump the water. I'm going to split the return line to put water into two separate holes in the top corners of my tank.

What type of pump should I use and what size? What's good flow rate for a 55?

Are there any other things I should take into consideration?

TIA.

I've had good luck with my Mag-Drive 9.5. The first one I had was defective and they sent me a new one and it's been fine since.

For a submersible pump, I would also recommend the Mag Drive. I would go with at least a Mag 7. If you plan to drill the sump, I'd look at a Blueline external pump...probably in the 6-700 gph range depending on the capacity of your overflow.

It doesn't really matter. I've got room for an in-line (external), but if a submersible is cheaper I would go that route.

What are the advantages of each?

loganj said:
If you plan to drill the sump, I'd look at a Blueline external pump...probably in the 6-700 gph range depending on the capacity of your overflow.

What do you mean drill the sump?

I've got two 1" holes drilled at the top of the back of the tank (at the advice of an lfs). What's the flow for that?

If you go with an external pump, you'll have to have a hole in the side of the sump for the suction line on the pump. You can't go over the side because the pump will lose prime and run dry. The submersible pump will be cheaper by about 50%. I wouldn't trust the 1" holes for more than about 300gph each. By the time you install bulkhead fittings in them, you'll probably be down to a 3/4" line.

I have a via aqua 3300 on my 55 fowlr and I have it cut back some with the valve. It gives me plenty of flow in the tank with just 1 hangon return in the middle. Cheap, quite and reliable..... I have the 4900 on my 125 reef and they both start up every time I loose power, no banging, cleaning spinning.etc..... (knock on wood)

My sump already has a bulkhead in it. I'm replacing it while I am working on everything (it looks rather old). The line size is 1".

Questions: (sorry there are so many)
Should I plug it and go to a submersible with the line out the top?
Should I use the hole with a submersible?
Should I go with an external pump (after replacing the bulkhead?

Is the Via Aqua an external or submersible?
What's the best submersible and the best external?

Am I right in assuming that I can just connect my pump to a split and run the hoses to the opposite corners for the returns?
Should I have a valve to be able to cut off the returns?

Any advice on a DIY top off?

You could plug the bulkhead and use a submersible. They are not the quality of the externals and will add more heat to the water. They are much cheaper though. You can run a Mag Drive submersible externally...I can't say about the rest of them. An external pump will cost more, last longer, and run cooler and quieter. The Via Aqua pumps are submersibles.
IMO, the best submersible is the Mag Drive. Again, IMO, I like the Blueline externals.
You can split the return and you should have a valve on the returns and the drains. If you go with an external pump, I'd have a valve between the pump and the sump as well. That way, you can remove the pump without draining everything.

Sorry I'm asking you guys to figure out the numbers, tell me how to measure and I'll do the calculations.

How do you figure what total water flow should be?

What's my max gph with two 1" holes for overflows (they are at the top of the tank- straight in drain (actually they've got slots over the intakes))?

Thanks for all the help!

Someone else may be able to give you exact numbers, but I wouldn't trust them for more than 300gph each. What is the ID of the bulkhead fittings that are in the holes? If they are 1" ID, you may be able to get more flow through them. You may find that you have to vent the drains to get them to flow properly too. If you use PVC instead of tubing, you'll have less restriction in the lines. The nipple fittings for the tubing restrict the flow.

Back
Top Bottom