what size trigger

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

schmilnik

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi, I am new to this forum as well as saltwater aquariums and I had a few questions. I have a 46 gallon bowfront tank. Ok my first question about how many fish should I have in the tank? I want trigger fish. What size trigger fish should I put in a 46gal? Small or medium size? And what are some fish that would work well with triggers? Thanks for any help I appreciate it!

WELCOME TO AA!!

Please do not cycle your tank with live animals.

To be honest, I can't think of a trigger that would be happy with that sized tank. Most need at least a 70G tank. That being said, triggers will limit your other inhabitants and any clean up crew. They really best kept in their oen tank, but there are a few fish they might get along with them, like a maroon clownfish.... We'll have to wait for the folks that are more experienced in triggers to come along.

Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com!!!
Sorry...A 46gal is simply too small to house any species of trigger. You do have several great options for colorful fish however. In a tank of that size it is best to focus on more community oriented fish.

ok correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that site for a normal size triggers not small triggers?

There are different size triggers right? (I am very new to this).

They are the same as what you had on yours. If you were to look at both sites you will see that both sites have all different sizes of them. The difference is that One is a respected site and tells it like it is as far as minimum tank size and the other is trying to make a sale.

Thing is a small 1-2 inch trigger will fast grow into a 10-24 inch trigger. They don't make 'em dwarf. They don't stay small. They grow. Fast.

Any trigger at all should be raised and kept in at least 60 gallons.

Providing the Proper Habitat: Triggerfish are bottom dwellers and usually live in the shallower, in shore areas of coral reefs. They are very active fish and need plenty of room to move around. They should only be kept in larger aquariums. Be sure to learn about any particular type of Trigger you want to purchase. Remember, some species grow to a very large size of up to 14 or 16 inches. It is best to provide these fish with plenty of rocks, stones, or coral formations to hide in. The more objects for them to hide around, behind or under, the better. Ample cover gives the other tank inhabitants a happy, safe feeling environment, as well helps to reduce conflicts and aggression in the community.

ok so they dont stay that size ok I get it I am an idiot. I thought that they stay that size. Sorry. Im new to this.

No problemo! You aren't an idiot =).

If you ever want to know what size a fish can get, look to the good drs foster and smith, their site is fairly acurate on fish sizes. Or come ask. we'll be happy to tell ya.

My only problem is that they grow to a foot long. I dont know how they can say 50 gallons. Just imagine a foot long fish in a 46 gallon tank or 50 like they say. I sometimes think that is a misprint.

I have to agree with Melosu58! I would be a bit nervous of putting anything that would get much more then 6-8" in a tank that size. I just don't think that the fish would be happy and would probably become overly bullyish to anything else in the tank. I think you would be better off going with a more community style tank as mentioned before.

Any chance you can trade in your tank, for one that is a little larger? I think that would make you and your fish happier.

You are misunderstanding what you are reading. The size they list small, medium, large, is the purchase size. Not the size the fish will ulitmately be. There are NO triggers suitable for a tank your size...period.

roka64 said:
Any chance you can trade in your tank, for one that is a little larger? I think that would make you and your fish happier.

I think Roka has the answer you're looking for. If your main goal is to have a trigger, then get a tank that will support it and you won't be fighting overcrowding issues from day one. If you bought your tank new from a local fish store, I can't imagine they wouldn't take it back unless you've already put water in it or painted the back.

I originally thought a trigger would be cool. Then after reading up on things and learning more, I realized that I didn't have room for one with the size of tank I was planning on getting (a 46g bowfront!), plus I couldn't keep the other things I wanted if I had a trigger. That's why I always stress to folks to do a lot of research before plunking down any money. If the trigger is a make/break thing for you, trade in the tank and go for it! If you don't have room for a smaller tank, then I think you'll be happier in the long run if you rethought your tank population.

Back
Top Bottom