What snails and critters best?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

What types of snails and cleanup critters (eg, hermits) are best/safest for a live rock, live sand, fish and soft corals (polyps, mushrooms, leathers) tank? There are also some cleaner shrimp in the tank, as well as a mandarin fish.

And are there any particular types of snails or critters to definitely avoid?

Thanks.

I like Nerites, Nassarius, and Trochus as far as snails go. I am not a big fan of the Astraea as it can't turn itself over if it gets on its back. Also I haven't been able to keep Margarita snails alive either.

Hermits are hit and miss. I have scarlet and various smaller black/brown crabs. For the most part they leave all my coral alone, sans for stealing food out of their mouth when I target feed them.

What is a sand sifter? Do you have a description? I'm getting my lr on Tuesday and don't want to introduce anything that will play havoc with my system.

Sand sifters are fish or inverts that sift the sand looking for the critters that live there. This is their main source of nutrition as long as the infauna will last. After that, they will usually eat meaty foods introduced into the tank. Dead give aways for sand sifting fish is one that scoops up the sand w/ his mouth and filters it through his gills. It literally looks like he is trying to eat the sand.

There are also sand sifting star fish...they work their way slowly through the sand looking for the infauna and consuming it. Neither of these is something that would hitch hike in unnoticed (ordinarily).

There is a difference in sand sHifting and sand sIfting. A sand shifter is one that just moves through it and shifts the furniture around much like you would move a tree branch out of your way. These are great for DSB as they aerate the upper levels of the sand as they move. Common Shifters include Nassarius snails, Queen Conchs, Fighting conchs...all great additions.

Sand sifters are ones that sift the sand looking for something to eat. Alot of the goby species are sifters. Just ask the LFS if he is a sand sifter, or better yet...ask here.

Squishy

hmm if these arstrea snails cant flip demsselves over how do they survive in da wild?

hmm if these arstrea snails cant flip demsselves over how do they survive in da wild?

Beats me. I am suprised natural selection hasn't done away with them by now...

Back
Top Bottom