Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 11-01-2008, 05:02 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
What to add after a Yellow Tang????

Hello all,

I am at a loss right now with my tank. I have a 75 gallon FOWLR that is well established and running great. At the moment I have in this tank a Foxface, clownfish, wrasse, and a yellow tang. Right now I cant seem to be able to add anything to this tank because of this yellow tang. Well atleast I believe it is because of him. He was the last one introduced in to the tank but easliy is the boss of the tank. I added a Pacific Blue Tang (which was equal in size to the tang if not bigger) but after about 2 weeks he was found dead. I also had a Angel that lasted about 2 weeks as well. Any ideas that you could help me out with so that I can add more fish. I am almost to the point of thinking either trading the tang in or getting a seperate holding tank for him so that the new fish can learn the tank. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I know the yellow tang is a more aggressive fish and one of the more aggressive tangs out there and right now I am just stumped and I dont have a lfs that is reliable with information. Thanks in advance for you information and help.

vortekv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 06:40 PM   #2
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
The yellow tang will be the dominant fish in your tank. He is in mine also. If I have to add anything I turn the lights out for awhile and I also move some of the rocks around. As far as adding another tang you need to add a tang that does not have similar body shapes. I would try a Yellow eyed kole tang. The yellow tang and the blue atlantic tang are too similar and will fight.

melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 08:59 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist
You could add a tassle filefish.They are cool to look at.But they are slow growers
Yellow Tang 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 09:27 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

You could always remove the tang and add another abosolutely last. Some can be real mean. Mine used to even pick on my starfish. Sent him back to lfs land.

Got another this past year, but already had a purple and kole in there ( a 155g). The yellow was the biggest. After QT, I added him. He and the smaller purple went at it for about a week. Torn fins and all. Had no issue with the kole/bristletooth tang because they were from different famlies. The purple and yellow hang out together now, but the yellow is the boss.

Got a QT tank for him to chill in for a while while you finish stocking?

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote

tan, tang, yellow tang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com